Post for the Oldbies - Anyone free to join :)

Post for the Oldbies - Anyone free to join :)

Postby Edmund/Gillian » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:57 pm

((Okay, this post is mainly aimed at people who used to frequent GRP several years ago. I'm purposely leaving it as sparse as possible - I suggest, if people want to join, throw in a first post, and then we can just see where it all goes, until the point if/when we decide we want to start a PD outside of here to figure out some kind of direction. Sound good?? ^_^))

Violent. The storm was impossible to describe in any other way. It was the type of storm where the rain pounds down against the paving so hard that it literally bounces back up, so that the first two feet or so above the ground were a chaotic blur of water. It was on this, and not on his visitor, that the young man's gaze rested, standing at the window and leaning with his hand against the wall, supporting both himself and the curtain he had thrown aside. He was fascinated by water, by storms. They suited something in him.

He was tall and handsome, with a mess of unruly blonde hair hanging down over his eyes, and a pair of pale blue eyes that made his face not just beautiful, but fascinating. He was the kind of person who draws in focus from others the way a spider draws in flies. He was charming and frightening. He was also incredibly drunk.

"Look," his interlocutor spoke up, clearly making yet another attempt to restrain his irritation (and anyone who had been in his situation before could surely understand the difficulty of this task). "I see that you're not in the best of health at the present time. I would be perfectly willing to come back at a later date. Perhaps tomorrow, or the day after that. But I simply cannot understand, sir, how you can ask me all the way here and refuse to sign this simple agreement. ...Sir?"

What had begun as a loud, forceful yawn had become a long shaky sigh, and had finally settled into a low, drawn-out groan from the young man, forcing the official to stop in the middle of his speech. The young man put his hands over his face and stood for a good 20 seconds rubbing his eyes with the heels of his palm and letting his groan fade away before turning and looking at the official quite gravely and directly.

"What's your name?" he asked softly.

The official was obviously taken aback. "I, er..."

"Do you know I haven't seen a storm like this in years?" the young man continued, clearly no longer interested. "Years..." This seemed to give him a lot to think about, and he looked at the official with a sad, longing look, as if he wished he would think about it with him. The official, in fact, was thinking about the door and wishing he was closer to going out of it.

"Oh I'm sorry, do you want a drink?" the young man asked, a grin spreading across his serious look. The official gaped and shook his head. "Sure?" the young man asked again as he poured something from a near-empty bottle to a glass.

"I think I had best be off," the official answered. "I'll come tomorrow. Or the next day. I-"

There was a knock, and without waiting for an answer, a well-dressed servant entered and gave a small bow. "A letter for you, sir," he announced. The young man made a just-a-second gesture to the official, as if he was interrupting a very interesting conversation that he wanted to hear more of, and crossed over to the servant. He put his arm around him and took the letter from over his shoulder. With the other hand he offered the glass he had just filled to the servant, who shook his head in a professional way. The young man waited a moment, then patted him on the chest and turned around to the official, awkwardly because his feet turned much slower than the rest of his body. He nearly fell but managed to catch his balance, and he held out the glass once more to the official, raising his eyebrows and tilting the glass backwards and forwards, as if to make it more enticing, paying no mind to the splashing and spilling of the contents.

The official once more shook his head. The young man chuckled and shook his own head, before raising the glass and flinging it at the floor, where it shattered. The official jumped and clearly took this as his cue to speed up his exit, which he did willingly. "Tomorrow," he said, following the servant out and tucking his papers under his arm. "I'll- come tomorrow. Goodbye."

The young man watched him go and stayed staring at the doorway another minute or so before walking over to the desk where he had left the bottle. He struggled to cram the letter into an inner pocket, while he wiped his other hand, which was wet from the spilling drink he had held, on the curtain as he walked by the window again. Lightening flashed and he fumbled the chair around to face the window and fell heavily into it. He sat for a moment and pulled the crumpled letter out of his pocket again and dropped it on the desk unread, slumped forward, and lay his head on the window sill. With one arm he cushioned his cheek from the damp wood, while letting the other dangle out into the rain.

"Good morning, my city" he said sadly, looking out at the dark streets below.
Last edited by Edmund/Gillian on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edmund/Gillian

Re: Post for the Oldbies - Anyone free to join :)

Postby Kaye » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:51 pm

He hated the rain.

And not just any rain. He hated when the rain came down in torrents like it was now. He might as well have gone swimming in order to reach the city instead of fly.

Visibility was at an all-time low. He had drawn up the hood of his cloak to try to keep the water from splashing over his face and into his eyes, but it had done very little help. The icy sting sill managed to abuse his cheeks and forehead, and his clothing had been soaked completely through so that he was shivering as the icy spray continued to pelt him and the wind was merciless and completely oblivious to his discomfort. It had already been a trying day and this was not what he had needed improve his day. The only thing he wanted now was a hot meal and a warm bath and then a soft bed to fall into.

If only things could be that simple.

Blue eyes, like chips of ice, glared out at the horrendous storm, as though daring it to continue. His dark cloak billowed around him, making him appear weightless as a crack of thunder and a bolt of lightening tore through the dark night, illuminating the tall, lean figure astride a beast of great size and strength, but it was so quick that it was almost impossible to see. And that was the point: not to be seen. Why else would he chose to travel by night? And not just night, but a night with a storm so heavy that it would be nearly impossible for anyone to follow?

Grabbing the edge of his hood to pull it down further over his eyes, Ronan leaned over the thick, scaly hide that covered the bulking neck of his mouth, using it as a sort of wind shield to look down in hopes of seeing the city he had been searching for. He had to blink the water from his eyes once or twice to be sure, but he noted there were flecks of light below indicative of fires being burned in hearths to keep warm. Judging from the numerous flickering beacons, he had finally stumbled upon the object of his search.

"We're here."

Patting his mount's neck, he continued to lean forward in order to keep his balance as the dragon dipped its head into a classic dive. The beast drew its wings to its body, becoming more streamlined as it shot straight down for the ground. When they were fifty feet from landing, the huge reptile growled and stuck out his huge leathery wings, bringing their rapid decent to an abrupt halt. Ronan jolted a little but managed to keep his seat, used to such movements after several years of practice in riding. A moment later, the dragon touched his muscled hind legs to the ground and mere seconds later Ronan stiffly climbed off and, bow-legged from hours of being in the same position. And not a moment too soon.

Ronan looked over his shoulder as daybreak started to creep over the horizon. He could not have timed it better. Relieved, he pushed the hood of his cloak off onto his shoulders as the rain let up, revealing dark hair, lank and damp from the rain, and a weathered face for someone as young as he. He turned to the dragon, a bull called Mulkai, and grabbed his bags from the dragon's back. He looked back up at the large manor; Mulkai had managed to land in the courtyard of the mansion that overlooked the city, where the young lord was housed. Shouldering the bags, Ronan waited as some servants came trotting out and gave them instructions to make sure Mulkai got water and some food before he was allowed to go off and hunt on his own. Watching the dragon stomp off with the nervous-looking servants, and one portly servant motioned to Ronan to follow him to the house.
My curse in life is that I'm always right
Kaye
Helmeteer In Chief

Postby Edmund/Gillian » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:19 pm

Elias heard steps in the hall, coming up the stairs, and even from as far away as they were, they made him wince, as he weakly lifted his cheek and opened one eye a slit. As the thumps got nearer, they seemed to fall in time exactly with the sound of his own heart, beating too loudly in every corner of his head. He groaned quietly as he shifted himself into a sitting position, and then, with a puzzled expression, touched his cheek to find it soaking wet, where it had been exposed to the drifting rain outside his window. He heard the grunts of some very loud creature outside, not a horse that was sure, but blocked them out. What time was it now? And who was coming up the stairs? Plural who, for their were many footsteps - or was it just his head that made them sound like so many?

He tried to move the chair he was sitting in to face the doorway, in preparation for greeting whoever it was, but it felt like too big an effort so in the end he simply swiveled himself in the chair. Water slid down one side of his hair, and he felt about as put-together as he looked, when the curtain over the door was drawn aside to reveal his guest.

Elias looked shocked and then laughed out loud, as he caught sight of the dark hair and care-worn face beneath the archway. He struggled to his feet - this was one of the few occasions that could have made him do any such thing, considering the state he was in. Light was already dawning outside, as the storm raged on, but this time the young man ignored the window.

"I can't believe my eyes," he said at last. "Come in."
Edmund/Gillian

Postby Kaye » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Once he was sure that Mulkai would be taken care of, Ronan felt comfortable walking into the manor. He was not afraid for the dragon; if anything could take care of itself, and ten ton giant would. Razor sharp talons and teeth that could rip a man in two with one bite left no worry for Ronan. His main concern was just to make sure that the dragon did not become annoyed with its new "keepers" during their short stay and lose his temper. It was a rather unfortunate side effect of keeping such a beast, and why Ronan supposed so few were hatched each year for riders. Knowing your "pet" could eat another human being took the edge off of wanting one for most people.

He looked around the halls as he walked behind the servant to where Elias most likely was. It had been a few years since he had seen the other man, but he would admit that Elias had good taste. The best, really. Ronan was used to the rich, even if he was not one of the gentry himself. He was a pawn on their chessboard, but he knew and accepted that. He knew what he had gotten himself into when he agreed to becoming a dragon rider, and so he would not complain. However, being surrounded by such fine art and furniture made him feel especially out of place. He wore leather to help keep his skin safe from the abrasive scales Mulkai bore and he smelled of rain and musky leather, and his boots were caked in mud and leaving a distinct trail behind him. He did not belong here and he knew it.

Ronan stepped aside as the servant motioned for him to walk into the room. Slowly, he stepped inside, looking around with mild interest when he heard a familiar voice. Turning his attention to the voice, he grinned, the first real smile he had allowed in days.

"Elias! It's good to see you!"
Kaye
Helmeteer In Chief

Postby Edmund/Gillian » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:32 pm

Elias walked over to Ronan and inspected him, seeing the mud caked across his garments, and the rain water sliding down into a pool at his feet. Evidently, Elias had not been the only one who had lay bare to the elements this past night. It was like a strange dream to see this person in this place, like the wrong puzzle piece stuck in the middle of an otherwise familiar jigsaw. He shook his head again, grinning, and then let the grin fall as he wrapped his arms around the other man's shoulders and clasped him into a hug, like a brother. When he pulled back away his neat grey jacket was dirtied beyond help, but he didn't spare so much as a glance at it.

"Well?" he asked, keeping his hands on Ronan's shoulders as he held him back to take a look at him again. "Where the hell have you been? I haven't heard so much as your name for at least several seasons now. You do show up when least expected."

He turned to the desk, where the bottle he had been enjoying just a few hours before was still standing. "What can I get you, eh?" he asked picking it up, but it was evidently much lighter than he expected. He held it up to eye level and, finding it empty, put it back down with a thud and a huff. He turned around and then started opening drawers to find something else. "Sit down!" he called, looking up over his shoulder. Make yourself at home. Are you hungry? I'll call for something to be brought in. Sit down, tell me where you've been all this time."
Edmund/Gillian

Postby Mari » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:57 am

"I'm sorry, miss, you can't go through! You'll never make it," he said firmly, arms crossed over his mailed chest. The rain tinged sharply on his helmet, wreathing his head in a halo of spray that glowed with light from the open door behind him. Like an angel, Kat thought. An angel sent not as aid, but as hindrance.

"I must be in Carrin by tomorrow!" she protested though the carriage window, her cascading blond locks a damp and frizzy mess above, below, and all around a pale face set in determination.

"I'm telling you, the road's impassable," he repeated for what felt like the twelfth time. "Your carriage will get stuck, and you'll have to walk those pretty little legs all the way back here anyway. Best just stay the night, even if the inn's full. You might find someone to take you in, or else sleep in your carriage. Either's better than running straight into the mud pits." He stepped back in shock as the carriage door burst open and Kat began to climb out. "Miss!"

"I'll leave the carriage with you then, and just take one of the horses myself." Her simple bottle-green dress was soaked before her boots hit the mud, her hair a stringy mess. She blinked, looking up at the sky, and muttered, "Wow, you're really not going to stop anytime soon, are you?"

The guard heard, as he rushed after her. He grabbed her shoulder and she spun- even dressed like this, she wasn't used to people laying hands on her. Something she must get used to, she supposed. It was all part of giving up her former life. "Miss, you really can't. I'm under orders from the Lord himself. Road's impassable. If you want to go, you'll have to take it up with him." He jerked his thumb in the direction of the manor on the hill. A manor all too familiar to her- after all, she had grown up in it.

She sighed then, the tired sigh of a weary traveler accepting yet another of the inevitable delays that came with traveling. "Alright, I'll go see him." The guard nodded and backed into the guardhouse at the gate while she re-entered the carriage, sitting down with a soft squelch. "Yah!" she said to the horses, and steered them towards the winding path up to the manor house.

She hadn't spoken to her brother in at least a year; however, unlike many of their partings, the last had been at least cordial. Elias had a fondness for the drink, and was often taken with bouts of anger while under its influence. Kat didn't care for that much. But the servants were more or less sympathetic, so she shouldn't have a problem finding a place to sleep at the least. Whether her brother would see her, and if this parting would be on as good terms as the last, she did not know.

She reached the courtyard at daybreak, servants greeting her like old friends. And some of them were- her favorite lady-in-waiting, Mirabelle, nearly jumped with excitement when she recognized the carriage's occupant. She was short and squat- Kat was almost a head taller. But growing up, the former cook's daughter was the closest thing to a best friend Kat had had. The two nearly embraced before simultaneously both took note of Kat's less-than-dry condition. "Oh dear, Lady Katherine," Mirabelle exclaimed, "let's get you into something drier! I believe we still have some of your old things."

"Of course! But first, where is my brother?" she intoned as they passed his usual haunt- a large study, with a view of the town below.

"In there, miss," Mirabelle answered, "but he's-"

Kat didn't wait for Mirabelle to finish. On "there", she grinned widely and threw open the door, shouting, "ELIAS, YOU OLD FOOL, HOW are... you..." she trailed, noticing another man in the room. A weatherbeaten but still handsome man, in the garb of... a dragon rider? A brilliant dragon rider, caked in mud, standing right there. And she, looking like something recently dredged up from the sea bottom.

She turned a bright shade of red. "Um, h-hello," she stammered.

"I tried to warn you, " Mirabelle whispered in her ear, laughter playing in her tone.
chameleon wordsmith, what color are your scales?
Mari
Site Admin

Postby Edmund/Gillian » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:36 pm

Elias' desk cabinet was by no means empty, but it was unlikely anyone would find any writing supplies there. He squatted down to sift through the veritable tavern of choices, all bottles partly filled (or rather partly emptied) and of varying age and value. He reached his arm in nearly up to the shoulder and felt over a few different shapes and sizes near the back until his fingers found a short, round bottle of sherry that he kept for special occasions - the kinds where someone else was there to celebrate with, not his own special occasions.

This was why he heard, rather than saw, the entrance of his prodigal sister, but hearing was well enough for him to know exactly what was going on. (Coincidentally, he felt his headache return at the same time.) He yanked his hand back out, bumping and rattling his collection and knocking over a nice antique bottle of red, which tottered out of the cabinet but thankfully did not break. He heard it roll away for a moment, as he stood up and looked fiercely across the floor. There she was. Katherine the Great.

Just. Great.

"Well," he answered, after leaving a moment of silence, aware that this must be awkward for her as well, and in no great hurry to change that. He glanced over at Ronan. "I see you're not the only one who likes to show up by surprise. My sister Katherine. ...Who will be waiting in the drawing room, I believe, until we two are done with our business. Isn't that right?"
Edmund/Gillian

Postby Kaye » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:06 pm

It had been years since he had last seen Elias. Ronan looked around the room again before turning back to his childhood friend. "It looks like you've done well for yourself over the years, Elias," he said. He knew Elias had grown up on the estate, and that his family was wealthy beyond any real recognition. Ronan's family had been farmers, simple folk with money to get by, but nothing as grand as this. He had always been rather jealous of Elias for having anything he wanted and for having such a large and fantastic manor, but the day he admitted that was a long one in coming. "I am sorry to hear about your parents, by the way."

And that was why he and Elias were friends: Ronan knew plenty of wealthy gentry now and most of them were complete snobs, and any mud in their homes was seen as some horrible atrocity. Elias, however, grabbed him and yanked him into a rough hug, and Ronan, grinning, embraced him as a brother. He patted Elias' back before pulling away, seeing that he had splattered some of the mud onto his friend, but that was not important. "It does me good to see you," he said, releasing him and taking a step back.

"I'm a hired man now, what do you think I have been doing?" he mused, watching his friend bustle around the room to get food and drink ready, but he remained on his feet. "I have been doing as my master bids me." He had been taken in by one of the gentry, on Elias' father's request, after his parents had died when he was twelve, and before he knew it he was being offered a chance to a squire. Everything that had happened in his life had been some accident or another, and Fortune had turned her wheel so that his life was better then that of his parents, but with every action there was an equal and opposite reaction he had learned. He may not be wealthy or have an enormous estate to his name, but he was one of the chosen few that had the chance to go down in history as one of the few dragon riders. But with glory came a dark side of honor, which Ronan shouldered because he knew he must.

His hand flew to the pommel of his sword as he heard the door thrown open behind him; it was a force of instinct, one that had been acquired after years of basically being on the run. He served his lord, it was true, but in doing so he was a gypsy of sorts, going wherever his master bid him and doing his duty for his lord, no matter the task. He slowly released his grasp, however, when he saw that it was a young woman, and one that he knew: Katherine, Elias' sister. And my how she had grown since last he had seen her.

"Nothing happens without due cause, Elias," he said quietly, his eyes still on Katherine. Slowly, he blinked and turned away to face Elias again, clearing his throat. "There is no reason for her to leave, Elias. She can stay."
Kaye
Helmeteer In Chief

Postby Edmund/Gillian » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:57 pm

Elias couldn't have agreed less. Here he had a chance to speak with the one person he cared for the most in the world, and perhaps the only one who cared for him. Here he was all ready to burst forth in a million questions, ready to hear every detail of the world beyond, or even simply to know why his friend had appeared out of nowhere to walk through his door. And instead, he was followed through the door within a matter of minutes, by the one person he did not want to see. Let it be the debt collectors again, so be it. But why, why had she come?

Worse still were Ronan's words. This was what made Ronan so calm - phrases like this. But Elias found it difficult to believe. He chanced not a single glance at Ronan, and kept his icey glare on Katherine. 'She thought up plenty of reasons to leave in the past' he thought, bitterly, in response to the words the followed from Ronan. He stood still for a moment, and broke the silence only by quietly placing the bottle of sherry down on the table. "My dear friend Ronan says stay," he said coldly at last, clearly trapped, but willing to hold onto dignity as much as he could. "And so I feel I too must invite you to remain here. Would you care to have a seat?"
Edmund/Gillian

Postby Kaye » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:45 pm

Ronan did not know much about the sibling relationship; he could remember running away cackling loudly with Elias as they left a pouting Kat behind because the boys would not play with her. Those were, of course, days long gone by, and he always loved being able to take time off of...well, being a peasant, really...and go play with Elias. He missed those days; life was never simple, of course, but it was at least more fun then what he usually had now. He loved Mulkai like the dragon was his own son, but flying around was not exactly a way to make friends. Ronan was alone most times with just his dragon for company, but one did miss people. Being home was something that should have been a time to let him meet up with his old friends and play catch-up, but time was of the essence and he was not here to catch up with old faces.

The tension in the air was unmistakable. Kat seemed on edge and Elias might as well have screamed out that he did not want her there. Ronan felt his interest peak, but he did not press matters. Whatever was going on between them was there business. Looking between both of them slowly, he turned back to Elias and cleared his throat again. "Did you receive a letter, Elias?" he questioned, deciding not to dig into family affairs. He was not nearly close enough to either of them anymore to ask such things, and he was not going to stick around for long. A bath and a good sleep and a hot meal later and he was flying out of there. Whether or not they went with him was up to them.
Kaye
Helmeteer In Chief

Next

Return to General Role Playing