The Call For Heroes (Open, Fantasy)

Re: The Call For Heroes (Open, Fantasy)

Postby Reineer » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:24 am

K’listan watched with an excitement he hadn’t felt in quite some time. The darkness that was his essence filled him and swirled around his body in wisps that would only be visible to someone that was in touch with a magical source. He waved his hand before he allowed himself to be seen and the spell he had quietly woven over the baron fell away. The baron’s face was awash with horror as he realized that there were two lifeless forms down in the middle of the field. He started to turn a little green before he was able to overcome his emotions.

The sly smile that rested on K’listan’s thin lips was hidden by the hood that covered his head as he made his way down to the field. Using a little levitation spell, K’listan floated about a foot above the dusty ground to a point slightly behind the two battle weary combatants. He wondered what exactly the quest was that this baron was sending them after.

The sun had already begun to dip down behind the row of trees. Since dusk would soon be arriving, those of wealth and status began to retreat to the keep proper. It was a matter of showing off their wealth, for the most part, as each wanted to ensure that their entourage was seen to be the grandest and by the most people. By the time the last of the lords and ladies had begun to make their slow progress toward the keep for the waiting feast, the bodies of the fallen warriors had been taken off to the side and set upon a funeral pyre – as was the custom for warriors that fell during battle. The baron, disgusted with his own orders, ordered the funeral pyres to be lit immediately and their families to be given a payment of gold.

K’listan followed the others up the winding path as the scent of burning flesh reached his nostrils. The odor, offensive to most, brought memories back of his time spent in the mountains of Wallachia where he sat behind a powerful voivode. The things K’listan whispered into the ruler’s ear drove him to vast amounts of evil and brutality.

These memories faded as K’listan found himself within the keep and sitting along one side of the baron’s table as servants brought in heaping plates of food. He was surprised to find his mouth watering, although he shouldn’t have been. K’listan normally had to eat more to refuel himself if he didn’t use a power source to feed his magic.
Reineer

Postby Teegan » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:06 pm

((Sorry if I backtrack a bit from Reineer's last post... It just seemed a very appropriate Ryu/Farrahgo entrance. If you'd like me to change it, I will.)

A "Call" was proclaimed that all adventurers show up at this castle and partake in a competition and muddle through some 'quest' that would no doubt reward them greatly. The concept in itself was laughable. They'd get those too seasoned to lift a sword and too young to wield it. Yes, there would be a few worthy of actually partaking this quest, but how many of them would show and how many would be given the opportunity. Obviously this competition was to see who would be the best candidates to partake such a journey, but unfortunately, with things like this, the best didn't always get their just rewards. Many times the underprivileged and under-talented would win out of sheer luck and determination while the truly qualified thought too highly of themselves and gave a quarter that they wouldn't normally give so willingly.

He knew these patterns, and wouldn't let those not qualified get what should be his. He strode through the cobblestone streets, his leather books making no noise as he passed the shops and stalls. The normally boisterous shop keepers grew silent as he passed, his large frame and cloaked and hooded body giving him a very intimidating appearance. As he walked by a butcher, he grabbed a slab of meat off a hook and dropped three gold coins without stopping. The hooded figure surveyed the meat as he walked, and chuckled. The meat began to steam, mostly around his fingers, but shortly the entire hunk was cooking from the inside out. Fat juices dripped off and landed on the pavement before him, which he carefully avoided. When it was fully cooked, he popped the meat into his mouth and chewed briefly before swallowing. He lifted his head to the sky and surveyed the castle that stood there, taking up most of his vision.

He came to the guard out front who sighed at him. "You're late, sir. No more competitors today." The visitor just scoffed. "You may want to let me through," he started, a deep chuckle escaping his throat. "I'm sure your Baron will be surprised to see I've actually shown myself in public." The guard sighed and began writing once again. "I doubt he's even heard of you, but why not? I don't get paid enough to argue." He glanced up at the hood, shuddering slightly at how unnaturally black the head hole was. "Name, lineage, birthplace, and affiliation?"

The stranger paused for a moment before continuing. "Farrahgo Silvertooth, son of Kaerdran Blackhammer. Born too long ago to remember and I affiliate with those who understand me." He smiled under his cloak, though it was not seen. He pushed past the guard before letting him finish and strode directly to the parade ground, the guard yelling that that's where he should go.

He arrived at two heavy, wooden doors leading in. He pressed the side of his hood to the wood, listening intently to the goings on inside. A voice could be heard, yelling about someone named 'K'listan' and how he was the 'powerful mage' that would accompany someone on their journey. Farrahgo stepped back and nodded to the doors, which swung open, quickly quickly, of their own accord. He stepped through the gate and peered around at the rest of those gathered there, watching them closely. He stared at the one he had guessed was K'listan and nodded slowly to himself. This man was powerful. He tore his gaze from the mage to gaze at the Baron for a moment, knowing probably every set of eyes in the compound was on him now. He shouted, though he was almost sure a whisper could be heard with this much silence. His voice was harsh and slightly barking, a commanding quality underlaying it all. "Is there room for one more to join up?" He chuckled to himself, the low rumble echoing around the ground.
All my RP Characters EVER CREATED! Retired will be noted in Bio
http://ryusilvertooth.tripod.com/
Teegan

Postby Kaye » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:56 pm

For a moment, there was nothing but a stunned silence in the crowd. Jennar fast got the impression that this was supposed to have last much longer than it did; after all, four warriors should have dueled for ages. But fate, or maybe just sheer luck and talent, had made the event last no more than a handful of minutes. He supposed he would have been stunned too.

A cheer rose up, and soon all were shouting their praise. Jennar coolly cleaned his sword and sheated it when he was sure there was nothing out of order. Anani seemed fine, and she demanded to know what was to become of them now. Jennar listened as his name was called out, along with hers, naming them the champions for the Quest. Their third was a man he had never heard of, but he was socerer, and for that Jennar decided to keep his hackles raised slightly. Magic in his part of the land was rare and mistrusted, especially the Black Magic, and this sorcerer coming along with them sounded more like the latter form of magic-weilder than the former.

The crowd slowly shrank away, where the bodies of the fallen were being burned in true warrior form. Jennar sent up a small prayer of his own, as was the custom of his people, but other than that he had no feelings about killing the men. They had known what they were getting into and he had walked away with his life while they had not, and the same was true for Anani. There was no point in worrying about the dead.

The feast started, and Jennar slunk away to the back, keeping to himself for the most part. He was a man of little words and these events were not to his taste. Suddenly, though, the noise seemed to die again, and another stepped forward, asking to be the fourth. Now what?
My curse in life is that I'm always right
Kaye
Helmeteer In Chief

Postby Mari » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:21 pm

So that was it. Herself, Jennar, and this strange K'listan fellow would be going off and questing, presumably in the morning. The sun was setting and it was generally not advisable to set out after dark, unless night's embrace offered protection the sun could not. The publicity surrounding this Call suggested that discretion was not essential, and so she figured she ought to make the most of this night before the hardships of questing once again befell her.

The Baron looked strangely green and quickly ordered pyres to be built for the Oriental and the Barbarian (Yamada Tomokazu and Oron the Crusher, she later learned, great warriors from the East and North), then ushered those left towards the keep and a waiting feast.

And such a feast! Many roasted fowl and more than a couple fattened pigs, apples in their mouths, lifeless eyes peering around the Great Hall. Overflowing bowls of fruits, vegetables, and breads. Casks of ale lined the far wall, and flagons of fine wines and cordials were interspersed with the food on the tables. Anani appreciated the splendor for all of thirty seconds- and then she was upon it. She had been hungry coming to the Call, and a day of fighting and Magick had further whetted what was already a voracious appetite.

She had been raised as a noble, or her mother had tried, but her father had always encouraged her natural rough-and-tumble nature. She'd gotten it from him, after all. She knew how to be proper, but proper was no fun. And now, though at a feast, she was the celebrated warrior and not the attending nobility. She doubted she knew any of the Lords and Ladies attending in any case, and so she threw herself at the table with gusto. A flask of mead in one hand and a whole turkey leg in another, she took a seat in the back, against the far wall facing the hall doors and somewhat near Jennar. He looked like he wanted to keep to himself for the moment, and so she wouldn't impose. Not yet, anyway.

She was fully engaged in her turkey now, ripping the thigh meat from the femur of the poor but delicious creature with a vengeance. She dimly registered that the voices had died down, and glaced up to see an ominous figure in the doorway. She switched her turkey to her left hand and rested her right on the hilt of her sword... but then the figure spoke.

She knew that voice.

Her hand did not relax its grip on her sword. It of course could still be a construct, a creature using her friend's voice. Or maybe she was mistaken, and it wasn't his voice at all. It did sound a little more worn then when last they had met, but then again he was always being worn down. Part of being perpetually on the run, she supposed.

She hesitated for a moment, silence washing over the Hall, then spoke the over nervous shuffling a single, questioning word.

"Farrahgo?"
chameleon wordsmith, what color are your scales?
Mari
Site Admin

Postby Reineer » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:58 pm

K’listan made his way to the Baron at the head of the long table. Guards stepped in front of him and lowered their halberds protectively until he waived them away. K’listan bowed gracefully before him. “M’lord.” His voice came forth, barely a whisper. “I regret to inform you that I have been called away on a private matter. I hope you will not be too disappointed.”

The Baron was perturbed and made no move to hide it. “You cannot just leave!” He blurted, his face turning a bright shade of red. K’listan forced himself to keep his amusement behind the mask he always wore.

“I do so humbly apologize, m’lord. I will do what I can to return to aid in your quest. But for now, I must take my leave.” K’listan turned and began to walk toward the doors at the end of the hall.

“GUARDS!” The Baron yelled and the men began to scramble toward K’listan. “Stop him!”

K’listan was not quite surprised to find that this man thought he could stop him with mere swords and pikes. He turned back toward the Lord and shook his head. “Only because I have more pressing matters will I allow you to get away with such an insult.” His hands rose into the air with a flourish of movement, his robes flying about him. “Agito Mentis!” He shouted and then disappeared with a loud thudding sound that threatened to damage the eardrums of everyone in the room.

He had made his escape, successfully teleporting himself about a hundred yards into the woods north of the village. His own ears had paid the price as that was the only downfall with moving one's self using the power of the mind. With a glimmer, K'listan soon changed his appearance and began to make his way...
Reineer

Postby Mari » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:48 pm

((Alllllright, as Teeg has mysteriously disappeared for like a million months, we will pretend that everything that happened with him was just in Anani's head, as part of her longing for friendship reunitiations. I don't think that's a word, but I don't care :D

Moving on....))

But even as the words left her lips, she knew it wasn't true. There was no silence, only the warm murmur of polite conversation that continued in an undertone. No draft from the door as it burst open, only the slight whistle of windows set not-quite-right into their panes. It was all imagined; the desperate trick of a desperate mind, willing old friends into existence. Anani sank further into her chair, tossing her bare turkey bone onto the table, still not fully accepting that no old traveling buddies were going to come stampeding in and demand to be put on the quest. It was her, Jennar, and K'listan.

Or was it? There appeared to be some commotion at the head table now, with the Black Mage bowling slightly to the Baron and then... making a hasty exit! The Baron shouted, the guards scrambled, but by the time Anani even stood in shock a loud BANG ripped through the hall. Instinctively most of the patrons clapped their hands over their ears, but it was little help. Anani could feel her bones themselves rattling within her body, shock waves reverberating through her chest cavity. Her stomach lurched painfully as her magic pushed back against the sound- it was a spell! As the waves subsided she recognized something she had studied, but never been in the presence of: a Teleportation spell.

"That sneaky little...!" she exclaimed, heard by probably no one. The hall was in an uproar, nobles' perfect hair askew and ladies crying in shock. Not that anyone could really hear, as everything still sounded like it was happening underwater. Anani registered that her wine cup, as well as most others, had been accidentally dropped when the sound necessitated immediate ear-clapping, and consequently the floor was scattered with rolling goblets and large puddles of red and purple. Navigating these and the near-hysterical nobles, she approached the Baron waving her arms profusely. "Oi!" she shouted repeatedly, "send them home!"

Unfortunately, he wasn't recovered enough to take hold of the situation yet.
chameleon wordsmith, what color are your scales?
Mari
Site Admin

Postby Kaye » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:33 pm

Polite conversation be damned. Jennar wanted out and he wanted to leave now. He would have to cross the hall to get to the doors, though, which would in turn draw attention to him and make it so that he was stopped. There was apparently no winning in this, and so he moodily leaned back up against the wall, out of the festivities and watching the others, thinking. He ate, of course, needing to keep up his strength, though he made it a point not to be involved with the common drivel that most of the people here were capable of.

And then...chaos. The meal, the talking...everything seemed to vanish with a loud bang and then everyone was running around, screaming and asking what was going on. Food was scattered on the floor and the wine had pooled like freshly-spilled blood across the ground, staining it a dark purple. Jennar's ears were ringing and his head was spinning; the noise had been nearly deafening and he felt like someone had smashed a club across his head, the force had been so strong. His goblet had dropped from his hands as they flew up to his ears, though it was too late. His ears were ringing and his wine was pooled and all around him chaos had free reign. It was an absolute uproar!

He looked around, trying to regain his barings, though it was considerably more difficult than he had anticipated. Grumbling under his breath, Jennar moved his jaw to try to make his ears pop so the ringing would cease as he made his way over to Anani, who was doing her best to get the Baron's attention, but it was doing no good. The man was just was hysterical as everyone else here and she was wasting her time. Jennar reached out and grabbed her arm to get her to stop waving, pulling her along and weaving through the crowd toward the exit and hopefully some quiet.

"Shouting at him won't do any good, the man's in shock," he said gruffly. "Wait for things to die down a bit before you shout and make demands, they are much easier to work with that way."
My curse in life is that I'm always right
Kaye
Helmeteer In Chief

Postby Teegan » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:12 pm

(I shall remake my entrance now... sorry about leaving... Anani could always have 'seen the future' of sorts... just an idea :) I'll also withdraw my post if anyone has any objections. )

The castle loomed over the small village, his lights glowing brightly. He saw smoke rising in the night sky. No doubt the failed participants of the 'challenge' that had been issued. The hooded figure stalked the streets, his concentration almost solely on a spell to cause fear in others that looked a bit too long at him. It was how he normally made his way through cities. Onlookers would stare and suddenly feel an overwhelming sense of fear and look away, thus not exposing his true nature.

As he passed a small meat stand that was closing for the night, he grabbed a small steak hanging off a hoot and popped it into his mouth while the owner wasn't looking. He chewed the raw, bloody meat and swallowed, savoring the taste. He chuckled to himself as well. What owner would suspect a man to steal raw meat and eat it all in three steps?

He came to the guard out front who sighed at him. "You're late, sir. No more competitors today." The visitor just scoffed. "You may want to let me through," he started, a deep chuckle escaping his throat. "I'm sure your Baron will be surprised to see I've actually shown myself in public." The guard sighed and began writing once again. "I doubt he's even heard of you, but why not? I don't get paid enough to argue." He glanced up at the hood, shuddering slightly at how unnaturally black the head hole was. "Name, lineage, birthplace, and affiliation?"

The stranger paused for a moment before continuing. "Farrahgo Silvertooth, son of Kaerdran Blackhammer. Born too long ago to remember and I affiliate with those who understand me." He smiled under his cloak, though it was not seen. He pushed past the guard before letting him finish and began striding up the long, winding staircase two at a time. After a minute or two, he entered the parade grounds, funeral pyres burning down to near nothing filled his visions and the smell of burning bodies assailed his nostrils. "Barbaric," he muttered, stalking past them.

A thunderous boom erupted from within the castle and he immediately headed that direction. It had startled him to the point that he had dropped to a fighting stance, claws extended from his sleeves and his teeth bared and glinting in the scant torchlight. He growled deeply, his eyes darting this way and that before he deemed the noise a non-tangible threat. He continued down the hallway until he came to a door that stood ajar. Inside was a feast the likes he had never seen before. Food tables seemed to extend for miles! He pushed open the door and stared at the people gathered there, all of them seeming frightened. He concentrated again, projecting another aura of fear around himself.

He strode to the end of one of the tables, several of the patrons stood and left, suddenly terrified of something, anything, though what it was, no one could quite tell. This hooded stranger was imposing, but by no means terrifying. He began shoveling food into his mouth by the hand full, his jowls snapping through flesh and bone in a matter of seconds. He had gotten several handfuls to his mouth before he looked up again and realized that many people were not moving, though many hadn't seen him yet. He chewed and said through a full mouth, "What? Don't be so shocked to see me." He continued eating, his attention back on the food before him.
All my RP Characters EVER CREATED! Retired will be noted in Bio
http://ryusilvertooth.tripod.com/
Teegan

Previous

Return to General Role Playing