Man or Monster? (Fantasy, Open)

Re: Man or Monster? (Fantasy, Open)

Postby Teegan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:28 am

Farrahgo kneeled before the water, his nose nearly pressed to the liquid as his eyes began to drink in the image before him. A sack of money exchanged hands with an invisible person, a smile with sadness behind it. A sudden reluctance to speak. Someone was on to her. Realized who the woman was, figured out her past. Figured out her experiment and her linkage. His thoughts began to wander from the woman, his eyes seeming to lose focus, and as they did, her outline began to shift too. It seemed to blur, making her seem at one with the darkness behind her. Farrahgo did not notice.

The crash came suddenly. Almost at once, the woman vanished from the water, the wolf-man's head jerking back downstairs. "What is that damned girl doing," he muttered, baring his teeth to no one but himself. His eyes snapped shut, his consciousness expanding, willing himself to see the world beyond his walls and not just sense. It took all the focus he could muster, but it worked. The world appeared as bright as day to him, and suddenly, an emotion he hadn't felt for nearly a century welled up inside him: Fear. In this brightly lit world, there were several masses of darkness. Nothing held within, to his eye. He knew it could only be one thing; Mage Hunters had come to track him down again.

------------------------------------

Kerrek watched the Inn from his hiding spot in the small bush nestled beside the road. A single, solitary figure stood in the backlit doorway, and by the sound of her voice, he could discern she was a Human. His eyes, which had adjusted to the darkness of night were not taking kindly to the light within the building, but he shook it off quickly. He could see Chelyrra and Maz watching him, Chelyrra's bow trained on the young woman. Kerrek moved his head an inch to his left followed by an inch to his right and he watched as the bowstring slacked enough to show she would not shoot. After a brief pause, he stepped into the light.

He was a short, well built man, his long ebony locks seeming to cascade down his back, behind his shoulders. His eyes were the palest blue, and his skin fair. It seemed as though his held no trace of ugliness on his face, save one, savage scar that cut its way jaggedly across his face beginning above his left eye and ending in the middle of his right cheek. it also appeared his lower lip had been pierced off to his left side, presumably against his will, though he now sported a small metal stud to attempt to hide his reluctance.

"I'm sorry miss," he stammered, hold his hands out to his sides. "I wish you no harm, I merely startled your horses," he lied, quickly brushing his hair infront of his ears, which came to a slight point at the top. "They were sleeping and I did not notice them as I neared your establishment." He brushed his hair forward again, doing his best to pass the action off as a nervous tick, a tactic he had used hundreds of times before. "I merely wish to stay the night until I may pass safely to the next town."
All my RP Characters EVER CREATED! Retired will be noted in Bio
http://ryusilvertooth.tripod.com/
Teegan

Postby Alaska » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:18 pm

“I’m sorry miss. I wish you no harm; I merely startled your horses.” Reina’s eyes took in the man. He was short with long hair. Reina immediately lowered her sword. The tip of it was touching the ground.
“No it’s quite alright,” Reina assured the man. “You just scared me is all.” There was something odd about the man; he’d seemed to have come out of no where. And up until tonight she might have thought that such things were impossible but that was not so. As she had learned with the Wolfman that currently was living in the room beside hers, nothing was impossible.
"They were sleeping and I did not notice them as I neared your establishment." He brushed his hair forward again. It was a weird twitch but as he moved his hair she saw a pointed ear. Was he human? The interaction with the Wolfman had put her on edge and this man was making her more anxious. There was something wrong but she could not quite place what it was about this man that put her at ease. "I merely wish to stay the night until I may pass safely to the next town." What could she say to that? Reina could not turn him and his money away over paranoia. Without thought she bounced up and down a little in her nervous state as she considered what to do.
“I suppose there is a room for you,” she said slowly. “Please, follow me.” She turned and led him into the dimly lit inn. It was quiet because everyone was asleep. Reina put away the sword and got behind the desk. They were alone. Reina and the stranger were utterly alone in the big empty room.
NaNoWriMo 2009 winner
Alaska

Postby Teegan » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:07 pm

The short man followed the younger woman, his left hand hidden behind his back. His fingers were flashing left and right, up and down, clenched and unclenched. Maz and Chelyrra nodded to each other after seeing their boss give them the signs, and they left, melding into the darkness even further. Kaerdran decided to strike up a conversation. Perhaps win her over. He knew the Wolf was here, but he wanted her full cooperation to make the job go smoothly.

"I'm a merchent, you see," He stated, sounding as non-chalant as one appearing in the night could be. "It's dangerous to travel by night these days, what with all sorts of vile folk lurking about." He saddled up to the bar and leaned on it, looking at her. "This is a nice place you've got here," he began, once again brushing at his hair. "I doubt you'd get many strange folk in this place." He turned around on his chair and leaned back, surveying the dining area. "Your husband must be a wealthy man to own an establishment like this one." He nodded in satisfaction. "I'd be happy to make an investment into it, perhaps spruce up the atmosphere, if you'd be willing." He turned back to face her. "Though I've heard tales the forest is growing more dangerous by the day, the current villian in it." He let his sentence end there, knowing full well what most people would say. He took the risk, though that she wasn't normal. He surveyed her and cursed himself he was not Maz. Maz could sense the auras, not he.
Teegan

Postby Alaska » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:39 pm

Reina nodded politely to the man.
“A merchant, I see,” she said and nodded.
"I doubt you'd get many strange folk in this place. Your husband must be a wealthy man to own an establishment like this one."
“Husband?” Reina laughed. “No, no. I am only fifteen and I do not have a husband. The inn belongs to my father, Liam Hayz. I am Reina, by the way. And no we don’t get strange people around here,” she told him and smiled. She was impressed with her own ability to sound convincing. “Just the normal passerby.” She walked to the front desk and leaned on it. “You want to check in now or no?”
Reina did not address his interest in investing in the inn. She did not want this man to hold something over her to get her to tell him about the wolf man.
"As for the danger in thee woods..." Reina smiled. "I am not afraid of the woods in the least. I recall playing in it as a child with my sisters and Marius. I have never seen anything in the woods that has scared me except for the occational gust of wind or mouse."
NaNoWriMo 2009 winner
Alaska

Postby Teegan » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:55 pm

"Not married, a pretty little thing like you," he asked, putting on a look of mock admiration, one he had used countless times before. "Well, there's a time for everything, isn't there?" He leaned against the bar again, watching her closely. His right hand migrated threateningly close to his right coat pocket where it lingered. "But you must have heard of the stories he's bringing behind him!" He leaned towards her, looking sincerely concerned. "The power the man possesses. He even," he paused, glancing at the drinks behind the bar. "Is the bar or kitchen still open?"
Teegan

Postby Alaska » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:07 am

"I know nothing of this man you keep talking about," she told him flatly and shuffled papers around looking busy.
"Is the bar or kitchen still open?" Reina looekd up.
"No, it is not. i am sorry it closed hours ago." The feeling she had gotten before was back. There was danger, he was dangerous. "Will you excuse me? I have to go give my sister her medicine. She is not feeling too well. Poor thing, her allergies are acting up again." Reina reached under the desk and puleld out a bottle and acended the stairs.

Reina went up the stairs then went to Farrahgo's door. She knocked on the door but then let herself in.
"Mr. Silvertooth, there is a man down there. He has a great intrest in the people here. I have a strong feeling about him. He frightens me. What do you want me to do?"
NaNoWriMo 2009 winner
Alaska

Postby Teegan » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:09 pm

Kerrek nodded at her, understanding why the kitchen was closed. It was late. No one ever stayed to eat this late. "Well, anyway, it's even said this man has magic!" he chuckled to himself. "Magic, can you believe that?" He smiled widely. "I've never seen anyone with magic before. I heard it's a feat to behold. Love to meet him." He paused. "As long as he wasn't upset. Magic can do a great bit of damage." He smiled at her again, watching her move about. There was something different. She hadn't fallen for his bait, nor had she showed any signs that she knew the wolf to be here. This was going to be difficult. But now she was leaving. "Oh, yeah. Take care of her." He nodded, looking down at the bar, thinking as quickly as he could, brushing at his hair again. "I'll be down here." He looked back up to her, forcing a smile again. "I'd like to procure a room, if at all possible. Upon your return, of course. I wouldn't want your sister to get worse," He said sincerely. He meant it. He cared for others, unless he was being paid to kill them. Then he only cared to see them dead. As she walked up the stairs, he fiddled in his back, pulling out a small lute-like instrument. He blew into it, his fingers working feverishly, though no sound came out, or so it seemed to Human ears. The elvish whistle was meant to be played and heard only by their kind, and he knew she was not one of them. He quickly stashed it back in his bag and waited, his mind mulling over all the possible scenarios that were -really- going on upstairs.
----------------------------------------------

Farrahgo knew something must be done, and if he didn't work quickly, all he had worked for would be unravelled like a spool of wool. And the only other Mage, or at least potential Mage, that he had come in contact with in the last century would be in harms way. Whether or not the hunters had the 'gift' of seeing those venerable in the magic arts, they could always tell when something about someone was 'off'. He stared out the window, thorugh the drawn shade, his eyes shut tight in concentration, his mind's eye tracking the movements of the black shadows. They had nearly encircled the house. And they would have done so if they had been smart and brought four instead of three. He could tell the man was downstairs, sitting in the dining area. He didn't seem to be moving much. He could also tell Reina hadn't been harmed--yet. The Hunter hadn't moved swiftly in for the kill or closed in on her in any fashion. He knew they needed to be close to make the final kill, or risk being hit with magic.

He noted one hunter had stopped dead in their tracks outside, as if something had come to their attention. He was trying to figure out what when there was a rap at his door, disturbing his thoughts. The brightness of the world outiside the shade vanished for a moment before his mind snapped back to the task at hand. Suddenly, both the shadows outside were moving, with rapid speed, towards the entrance downstairs. He panicked. He forced his mind to attempt to probe one of the figures when he heard a familiar voice behind him, once again breaking into his thoughts.

He turned on the girl, fury in his eyes. Anger at being interupted not once, but twice. Fear of the three downstairs and their ability to kill off his kind. Impatience at the girl for not waiting for him to answer his own door, and disappointment in himself for getting cornered this way. When he spoke, his voice was harsh and biting, though quiet for fear of being overheard.

"Fool," he hissed, waving both his hands at once. She was lifted off the ground by an inch and brought into the room while the door behind her swung shut, barely missing her back before it closed silently, issuing a click when the lock was turned. He ripped his hood back, his fangs bared at her. "I know of this man, and I doubt who he says he is." He considered for a moment. "Who did he say he was? A traveller? A Ranger? Begger, perhaps?" He growled to himself. "Or a wandering sales man? A Merchant?" He went through the entire list of the specific stories each mage hunter used. They'd want to keep the stories the same if they wanted to convince people of who they were. "Artist?" He chuckled. "Or what about the 'nobleman in disguise'?" He had always wondered about the last. He had faught with him, though the outcome had obviously been in Farrahgo's favor. The man had survivied, but barely. He would find it humorous if the man had come after him again, especially after such a humiliating defeat.
Teegan

Postby Alaska » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:36 am

Reina's legs kicked like crazy when she was picked up in the air.
"What are you...put me down!" When he released her fell over. "Oww!"
"Fool! I know of this man, and I doubt who he says he is," he growled at her.
"Well pardon me for trying to warn you. next time i'll let them storm in and just take you away or better yet kill you! I came in here trying to help you out of the goodness of my heart!" she spat back at him.
"Who did he say he was? A traveller? A Ranger? Begger, perhaps? Or a wandering sales man? A Merchant? Artist? Or what about the 'nobleman in disguise'?"
"A merchant," she said and sat up. "That is what he said he was. Do you know this man? Because if you do I need to know right now! You have now involved me in this now and anything you keep to yourself you put me and my family in danger. I have been lying to him through my teeth about you. All I have to do is walk down there and say you are up here. I do not want to do that but you need to start treating me...with care. I am more brekable than you are." Reina felt something in her growing in her, maybe it was courage, maybe it stupidity. She'd never know until Farrahgo reacted.
NaNoWriMo 2009 winner
Alaska

Postby Teegan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:30 pm

A merchant? This man had made himself scarce for quite some time, if it was indeed the same man Farrahgo was thinking of. Kerrek never worked alone, which made since, the other two surround the inn, though if they were indeed moving to meet up with their leader, his time in this inn was short. His eyes darted about, looking for an escape route other than the window. It would be too predictable and would not end well. His eyes rested on the girl. Perhaps he could use her as bait. No, she was too valuable, apprentice or not. Perhaps he could at least get her to the mages in hiding in the northern mountains. But how to distract them. He knew if he somehow caused harm to her family, she would not be as kind to him as she had been, even if it was sparse at best.

"Go down," he commanded, motioning towards the door. "Stall them." He paused, attempting to think of a plan, though nothing was coming to him. "I need just a moment more." He turned to the window, opening the shade and exposing himself. "If there are more with him, which I'm sure there are, take care not to anger them. They will not hesitate to kill you to reach me." He thought for a moment again, not caring if she was still there. He drove his hand into a hidden pocket on his cloak and took two large strides over to the wall adjacent to the door. He produced a small, black piece of charcoal, much like the one she probably used for drawings, and began drawing patterns on the wood before him, muttering something in a language long lost to others. He pushed the charcoal hard into the wood, nearly denting it. It would take several days of hard scrubbing to remove it. He didn't care. At this moment, it was life and death, the wood of the inn's walls mattered nothing to him.
Teegan

Postby Alaska » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:52 pm

"Go down...stall them."
Reina opened her mouth to speak. How did he expect her to distract him? Still she did not protest.
"Alright," she said slowly. Reina left the room and closed the door behind her. She dumped the bottle in the hallway and continued down to the main room. Her face was plesant as it had been.
"I am so sorry about that, sir," Reina gave him a little smile. "You know how awful those autumn colds can be. I think it comes with the air. Bad vapors, ya know." Reina's mind began to race.
Gotta stall. Gotta stall.
Her eyes fell on the door of the kitchen. Perfect!
"Sir, I am the cook here. I do not usually make exceptions about opening the kitchen for people but you have been very polite, a rariety in the people that drink here. You know how men are. Acctually I am a good cook. It is my best selling point."
NaNoWriMo 2009 winner
Alaska

PreviousNext

Return to General Role Playing