[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
• View topic - Man or Monster? (Fantasy, Open)

Man or Monster? (Fantasy, Open)

Re: Man or Monster? (Fantasy, Open)

Postby Teegan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:01 am

He had succeeded in probing her mind, but his tactics were sloppy, dredging through pointless memories when all he wanted was to find if any other pictures were still in existence. He paused, though, on each memory, perhaps a clue in them that would tell him where they would be. There were, however, some memories of the girl's that caught his interest, particularly the old woman the King-like figure, though he remained on the image of her and the Wolf drawing she had made.

Tiny details were made, the stone her mother had given her. It seemed more special than a normal stone, though he couldn't make out why. The room she had been drawing in looked very similar, as if he'd been there before. And her mother grabbed his attention. He wasn't sure why, but he felt as if he knew this woman. Perhaps in a different life, he thought. She looked young in this memory, and the girl didn't seem much older than this memory, but he had misjudged people before.

Just before the memory faded, or rather, was pushed from his mind's eye, he noted one other detail. A loose floorboard. Once sight had returned to him, his hood swiveled this way and that, eyes peering for anything out of the ordinary. "Here," he muttered, mostly to himself. He began pacing around the room, slamming his foot into the floor at odd intervals as if looking for something there. When he neared the bed, his anger at not finding this loose floorboard growing, his heel came down exceptionally hard, and he heard a rattle from the night stand and he peered for a moment, his fangs grinding deep inside his hood. He bent low and began knocking on the wood of the item in question before he found the loose bottom. He pried it off and stared inside for a second or two, and snatched the pieces of parchment that had accumulated there.

He sifted through them, throwing most to the floor almost haphazardly before stopping at a drawing of the Old Woman from her memory. He scrutinized the details of it. Her approximate height, her face, her posture, everything, before stuffing it forcefully into his cloak. He did this with several more, including the picture she had been drawing in the last memory he saw. He rounded on her at last, growling deeply. "Tell me how you see these things. What must you do to see them?"
All my RP Characters EVER CREATED! Retired will be noted in Bio
Teegan

Postby Alaska » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:28 am

Reina's mind was still reeling from the attack. Her arms trembled as the struggled to hold her up as she had braced herself of the chair. The young woman’s mind cleared just in time to see the wolf man stomping around on the floor. What in God’s name are you doing? Idiot. She eyed him wondering what it was he was doing at what it was in her mind he had seen that would lead him to this. Then a thought occurred to her as he neared the bedside table. No!
“No!” She rushed forward to stop him but it was too late, he had already found them. As he looked through them he threw them to the floor. No! She got onto her knees and tried to gather them up. To him they were meaningless pictures, but to her they were memories on paper, and most of all they were her art she had spent a lot of time on them. How could he be so cruel to her, a girl he had just met? Soon he was finished going through her art only to leave her with a few of the pictures, mostly ones to do with her family.

"Tell me how you see these things. What must you do to see them?" he demanded. Inside her stomach Reina could feel a fiery ball of rage wanting to come bursting out, but she was able to restrain herself. With eyes red from keeping back tears and hands that trembled as she held the pictures she poured her very dreams into Reina gazed up with him, this time not afraid of him at all. It was best to just tell him what he wanted, she knew that, but she also so badly wanted to spite him.
“I see them in my sleep,” she told him stiffly. “I see them when I am awake. They come to me out of nowhere, show me things, sometimes they tell me things about what is to be. The voices that once accompanied the pictures have quieted…I’m not insane.” She eyed him and walked over to the window and leaned up against the wall beside it. “I have no say in what I see or when, it comes when it wants to, when it needs to. If this is part of some sort of sick game you must stop it, it is not funny, it is not a joke.” She turned to face the floor after she had finished speaking. Nervously through the shirt that concealed it she played with the necklace her mom had given her.

((Getting on a plane to Taipei tomorrow morning. I'll be there over night. I probably will not have internet so it might be a day or two before I reply. Friday mornig I'll be back in Alaska but I might not wnt to post. I might sleep instead.))
NaNoWriMo 2009 winner
Alaska

Postby Teegan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:38 am

The creature watched the girl, a bemused looking plastered across his features. She was starting to stand up to him. He could tell by her voice she was not happy with his actions, as little as that meant to him. Personally, he didn't care about the girl. He doubted he'd ever see her again after the door opened. He figured she'd send one of her sisters to do the work. Pretty things they were. They'd probably be crying in fright if they had been in her position. Perhaps begging for their lives if Farrahgo went any further.

He didn't relish these thoughts. No matter what people thought of him, he was not a monster. Human suffering did not amuse him, but it didn't bother him either.

As he listened to her speak, thoughts bubbled up in his mind as quickly as if he had been drowning in water. Thousands of thoughts, many which he didn't hold onto for more than the moment it blossomed. Several stuck with him. Seer. Visionary. Psychic. Shaman. Magician. Mage. This last was the most intriguing to him. He, too, considered himself a mage, though his talents did not lie in the mental realm, but more the elemental and physical. From what he could see, the mental road of magick was tricky and pockmarked with potholes and bumps. It was easy to become derailed and lose your mind. He had always wondered what would happen if he had lost his mind. Her mention of insanity drove the point home. Others had already called her crazy. Others already thought she had lost her mind. He knew she was sane. At least as sane as he was, and many were not sure how mentally stable the wolf-man was.

His face immediately softened as he looked upon the young girl, and he meant it to. He would need to shift his angle if he ever wished to gain her trust. He knelt down to be as close to eye level as the normally towering figure could ever be. He pulled back his hood to reveal his face, which was stuck in a seemingly genuine grin. "I do not believe you insane," he began, watching her every move, taking in every gesture, analyzing her voice inflections. He was a pro at this game, and it took another pro to realize what he was doing. "I do know, however, that these visions you see are not common, even to people like he," he said, indicating mages. He noticed her begin playing with something under her shirt, but he dismissed it for the moment. Nervous habits were hard to break people of. "I do not tell people this fact unless they have proven they are indeed telling the truth." He held out a hand and the ripped picture of him striding into a tavern floated softly into his hand, which seemed strange compared to his making things zoom at high speeds earlier that night. "With this image, you have proved it."

He rubbed his thumb over the holes his claws had made, and the paper mended itself. "I also know," he continued, holding the fixed drawing out to her, "That if you had said you could call them up at will, you'd be lying." He smile again. "No one your age can do so." He chuckled inwardly, cursing himself for making light of a fault of his own, but he must to gain trust. "Even I cannot see the future with certainty like you can."
Teegan

Postby Alaska » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:13 am

He knelt down so that he was almost eye to eye to her. His face was kind, his voice gentle and he seemed genuine. He began to tell her that he was sure she was telling the truth about her ‘gift’. Reina was not entirely sure why he was saying this at all. Why had his demeanor changed so rapidly at her opposition to him? Perhaps no one had ever bothered to stand up to him before. Reina eyes him as she began to put her drawings in order.
“Well I’m glad to know you believe that I have this…this thing but to be honest I do not like the idea of someone running around with such knowledge in their skulls,” she walked to the table and put the pictures away. “You know what they do to people like me, I’m sure you’re not stupid. I am trying my best to keep my head low and make it through this life and die of natural causes. Hell, I’d take dying in childbirth than being burnt alive.” As much as it was frightening to her that he knew her secret and had rummaged around in her mind it felt good to unload on him. The memory of her telling her mom about the picture of her and the wolf came to mind. That one had never come true. She’d always assumed it was just her imagination and nothing more but here she was. Here he was, wolf face and all, but what could it all mean anyways? It was probably nothing, and still something nagged at her. She gazed at the wall for a second then back at him.
“My mother, I got this magic from her didn’t I? It is passed down isn’t it? From father to son, mother to daughter. If this is true why don’t my sisters display what I have?” she watched him face serious. “Before my mother was carted away she went crazy. Spoke to people only she could see, would flinch long before something actually came. Yes, that all makes sense, I have experienced this at one time but that is not all my mother did. In her presence things would ketch fire, windows break for no reason. Where is that ability? No one in all my family has done this. Not my father, my sisters, cousins, aunts, my father’s parents. No one! So why us? Why my mother and I?”
NaNoWriMo 2009 winner
Alaska

Postby Teegan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:38 pm

His eyes darted around around, looking for any sign she was deceiving him. He couldn't discern anything, but that didn't mean it wasn't happening. He needed to be ever vigilant if he wished to survive longer in this life time. Her statement of magick being passed down from father to son and mother to daughter was replaced with a question he knew not the answer to. If he wished to gain her allegiance, however, he needed to think quickly. "I don't know" was not a suitable answer in this instance. His hands tightened into loose fists and unclenched several times as he thought. His eyes continued jumping to and fro in his quest to think of an answer.

"Magick," he began, hesitating for such a brief time it was almost unnoticeable, "is very particular in who it selects to wield it." He nodded as if to punctuate his own words. "Some families, it skips entire generations until it surfaces again." He smiled a bit at his own words. They sounded convincing enough to him. He was the one who could use magick, not this girl. "And sometimes it strikes completely at random," he stood, motioning to himself. "I have no parents or siblings, and yet here I am wielding magick." He stalked to the window, despite his good mood, and slammed the shades shut.

"Magick is almost like a living entity with wants and needs. When it finds someone who is strong willed enough to use it, it will infest them with a symbiotic relationship." He glanced over his should to see if she was believing him. "The wielder is able to use magick and in return, Magick gets what it wants. What that could be, I'm not sure." He looked back out the window again, satisfied with his words. He drew in a deep breath and exhaled barely audibly. He turned, facing her, a sorrowful smile on his face.

"I have been looking for an apprentice that is worthy to succeed me." He chuckled sadly. "I have no children to teach, no wife to teach, barely any friends to call my own." He shrugged. "I only need find someone willing and strong-willed enough to deal with my harsh teaching methods." He smiled again. "But I'm sure you're tired and it's getting late." There was an audible click of the lock reopening and the door swinging ajar. "I am sorry I was harsh on you. I needed to make sure you were who I thought. To know you had the capability to use magick and not just be imaginative or lucky." He turned to face the closed window and said nothing else.
Teegan

Postby Alaska » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:31 am

Reina's eyes stayed on him as he elaborated about the illusive power that haunted her and had driven her mother to insanity. So it was not necessarily passed genetically, which explained her sisters. There was also a rather unpleasant rumor that the man she called her father was not her true father and that her mother had strayed from him...which might explain her appearance as well. But those were nasty rumors and neither Reina nor her father thought her mother capable of this. Her mother was not the promiscuous type and her father was the sort of dopey man who would devote his life to the woman he loved and her mother was the sacrificial sort, a combination that kept either from straying. Or, that’s what Reina believed.

Something about the man's movements confused her. His mood was up from what it was before but his movements were harsh, stressed, they didn't match his tone or words. She had seen this sort of thing before with her sisters. They'd lie ot get something, wanting to get on their father's good side. While she did not believe anything he said was a lie, it seemed as if he wanted something. What that something was she was not sure.
"I have been looking for an apprentice that is worthy to succeed me."
Her head perked up some. Is that what he was looking for? Did he want her to learn from him? No, that was stupid. Why would he want that of some stupid bumbling girl he had just met? It was just her mind running off with her.
"But I'm sure you're tired and it's getting late. I am sorry I was harsh on you. I needed to make sure you were who I thought. To know you had the capability to use magic and not just be imaginative or lucky." Reina nodded.
"If you need my services my bedroom is just next door, the room on the right," she told him. Without another word she left, closing the door behind her. After leaving the Wolman to herself she went down stairs to see of what help she could be.

When Reina reached the pub part of the establishment she saw her sisters flirting with the highly intoxicated men. Most of those who were able to leave had left. Her father was preparing to close down the place and Marius had already gone to bed. Reina smiled some and just stood there. Reina wasn't ready to go to bed, her mind was swimming with thoughts and the image of her family just going about their simple ways was calming.
NaNoWriMo 2009 winner
Alaska

Postby Teegan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:48 am

He stood, his muzzle nearly pressing into the shade. His ears twitched backwards, listening to her words. She was leaving? Then she had not deemed herself worthy. Anyone wishing to be his apprentice would need the drive to become as great as he, if not better. He would never willingly ask someone, no matter how powerful, to be his apprentice. They would need to seek him out instead, showing their desire and lust for power. He listened to her leave and took note of the fact she slept in the room next to him. That fact could come in handy if he needed her at any point throughout the night.

Once the door had closed behind the girl, he strode to the table and, after examining the water pitcher for several moments, he up-turned it, spilling its contents onto the floor. He watched as the water collided with the floor and careened in all directions, splashing his robes, his boots, the wall and even some droplets landing on the window shade. He concentrated on the water, his mind willing it to return onto itself. If anyone had been watching this spectacle, it would truly be a sight to behold. Water droplets moved lazily through the space of the room. Some slid across the hardwood floors, others, like those from his robes and the shade, floated idly through the air, and when they neared, they seemed to dance with each other. One pair of droplet, in particular, acted like a pair of mating eagles. They circled each other above the growing puddle on the floor before spiraling downwards around the other before colliding with the rest of their kind.

He stared hard at the perfectly circular puddle, his mind racing, but his mouth working slowly and steadily forming words as if of their own accord. The water at his feet began to glow dimly at first, but its intensity increased tenfold in a matter of seconds. When he finally opened his eyes, an image of an old, hunched woman appeared in the liquid. It seemed as if she were talking to someone, though he could not see who. As he watched her, his focus shifted. His consciousness began to expand outward, feeling for any other life forms that may intend to interrupt his scrying.
Teegan

Postby Alaska » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:46 am

((I'm relying on you to come up with something. It's not in Reina's character to be Power-hungry and its not in his to randomly take up a 15-year-old girl. So I think something would have to happen.))

Reina helped her father clean the last of the dishes. While the pub was closed the inn would remain open for any traveler in need of a room. Reina and her father would trade off who would take the night shift. It used to be Reina, her father, and her eldest sister Ana. However Ana had recently married and moved into a different house in town and was no longer interested in taking night shift. Grania and Ella were the best waitresses of them all so it was best to keep them fresh in the coming morning. Reina had been washing a table when her father came up behind her and laid a heavy hand on her shoulder.
"Reina," he could not hide his exhaustion. "Can you manage it alone tonight?"
"Yes father," she nodded and gave him a smile. "You need to rest." Without much reluctant her father off to bed. The men who were highly intoxicated were led to a place in the back to sleep it off by Grania and Ella.
"Good night Reina!" Ella said before she and Grania went to bed.
"Good night." Reina leaned on the desk where the check-in book sat. Her mind began to drift. Although she thought it was her imagination Reina could feel the people here. It was relaxing; their breaths were heavy and slow from sleeping. An image came to her: the old woman she'd seen so many times. Along with this image a thought came to her. Who else is out there?

This thought was interrupted by a crash from outside. Reina's head jerked up and towards the door. As any young woman Reina felt her inner warrior come out when in the face of potential danger, a danger which might be nothing. This inner person often came out when she was all alone. Heart pumping, Reina grabbed up a small 'sword' from under the desk. It was a neglected sword, not well made, perhaps lifted off a soldier from one of the wars. Liam Hayz kept it as more of a threat. On the few occasions that he did have to bring out the weapon it would break up the conflict without any violence. Reina held it with both hands, low. As she stepped out of the door and into the cool night air her heart was pounding harder, greatly contrasting with that of the sleeping guests.
"Yeah!" she gave her battle cry. She spun around looking for the intruder. She saw no one but the crash came again. Reina spun around again and saw the two horses that Marius had set up for the Wolfman earlier. The horse was tangled and had knocked over some barrels. She sighed heavily, her body relaxing.
“Stop that! You nearly gave me a heart attack,” she told the horse and untangled them. After she had done that an unexpected breeze caught her attention. A whisper of something came with it, like some faint but familiar voice. The stone that was now pressed against her chest was warm, something she contributed to the adrenaline that had recently been pumping through her. Still there was something unsettling about the darkness beyond the outdoor lamps of the inn. Someone was out there.
“Is anyone there?” she called out.
NaNoWriMo 2009 winner
Alaska

Postby Teegan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:38 am

((I had something planned... don't worry . ;) ... As long as you don't mind me playing another character from time to time...? Will reply after you answer.))
Teegan

Postby Alaska » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:30 am

((I don't mind at all. :) ))
NaNoWriMo 2009 winner
Alaska

PreviousNext

Return to General Role Playing