Man or Monster? (Fantasy, Open)

Man or Monster? (Fantasy, Open)

Postby Teegan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:54 pm

The door to the tavern swung open and the few lanterns on the walls blew out. It was black in the tavern. The sun had set many hours ago. The door slammed shut. There was a faint snap from the door, and the lanterns burst back to life, as if nothing had happened.
The cloaked stranger stood in front of the door, staring at the customers. His face was hooded, and his cloak was soaking wet from the downpour that carried on outside. No one could discern any feature of his face. His hood formed an almost impermeable layer of darkness.
"Who sent them," he asked. His voice rumbled out from under his hood. It sent shivers down the spines of all the patrons there. It seemed as if this growl had been emitted from the pits of Hell itself. "I said, Who sent them," he said, a bit louder. The stranger took a step forward, but due to his cloak touching the ground, he seemed to glide forward, as if he were Death. "The bounties. They’re after my head." His arms stirred and pulled forth a sack of gold and tossed it onto the floor. "Please, claim the gold you paid to have me killed." All the men of the tavern just stared, not knowing if they should claim this purse.

One man stepped forward. "It is my gold, sir," he stated, staring at the ground.
"Sit down, you greedy blaggard! I know this is not your gold." The man sat, keeping his gaze on the floor at all times. "Daniel Clark," the stranger called. "Where is Daniel Clark?"
The men all shifted in their seats, nervous. One other man stepped forward.
"I am he," he said, his voice quaking.
"Look at me, Daniel," The stranger said, growling like an animal. Daniel turned his face upwards. "You paid a bounty hunter fifteen-thousand gold to kill me, correct?" Daniel nodded. "And you agreed to split the sixty-thousand gold reward with him, seventy-thirty, am I correct in my thinking," he queried. Daniel nodded again. "There is the fifteen, claim it if you want it, either that, or I will take it." Daniel reached towards the sack, but stopped.

"Ah ah ah," the stranger said, not moving. "Not so fast. I believe you owe me an apology." Daniel looked up and then back at the sack. He strained to push his hand forward, but it didn’t budge. "What sorcery is this," Daniel screamed in outrage. "That money is rightfully mine," he cried, attempting to push his hand past the invisible barrier.
"Not until you apologize," the stranger said. Daniel looked shocked, and stared at the hidden face of the magician.
"I would never apologize to you, you freak," he screamed, and smiled at his remark. Daniel was hurled from the floor and slammed into the wall opposite the bar, then tossed out the window, but no hand had touched him.

"Does anyone else dare defy Farrahgo Silvertooth," the stranger asked, scanning the crowd. His drew back his hood, and revealed his face. It was the head of a wolf. His fur was an amber-gold and his eyes were set just above the bridge of his nose, and they had the fierce look of a hawk about them. He studied the faces of all the men in the building, liking what he saw. The creature enjoyed scaring humans. They had shunned him so long ago, he felt no remorse for most of them. He had befriended a few, but only a scarce few that would deny knowing him if asked. He bared his fangs, and the light glittered off his canine teeth. They were plated in pure silver and bloodstained. He growled and then swung his head towards the bartender.

"Barkeep, I would like to purchase the nicest suite, price is of no matter to me." He bent over and picked up the fifteen-thousand gold Daniel had "left" for him. The bartender stared at this atrocity before him.
"Sir, you must-"
"I said ‘barkeep, I would like to purchase the nicest suite, price is of no matter to me’, did I stutter?"
"N-No, Mr. Silvertooth, you didn’t." He turned around quickly, stumbling upon grabbing the key to a room. He turned back to Farrahgo and handed the key to him. "Room 106, normally rented out to Kings and Nobles."
"In a place like this," Farrahgo scoffed, "I doubt it." He stepped away from the bar and strode to the staircase, placing his hood over his head once again.
All my RP Characters EVER CREATED! Retired will be noted in Bio
http://ryusilvertooth.tripod.com/
Teegan

Re: Man or Monster? (Fantasy, Open)

Postby Alaska » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:49 am

The day had been long. Reina had been working with her father at the bar and inn that he owned. The morning was always slow but there was much work to be done: washing the guest’s clothes, cooking, cleaning, and preparing for the travelers and drunks that would come that night. The work was much but there were also many hands to help with it in idea. Her father had been blessed with fathering four children, all girls, three of which were as beautiful as nymphs. Reina was the unlucky fourth, however for what she lacked in looks she made up for in other areas. Her father had her washing the clothes and cooking, always away from the customers most of the time. He would say it was because Reina had an aptitude for domestic duties but Reina knew better, she knew it was because she was plain and would not be tipped as generously as her sisters. In a way it was her father’s way of protecting her as cruel as it seemed. Reina, however, did not mind much seeing as how if she were to be working as a waitress then she would constantly have to put up with the perverted men talking and touching her. Besides this gave her the evening to relax some.
Reina could remember a time when her mother was with her, before she was taken. Her mother would tell her, “Darling, you are smart and artistic; you do not need to be pretty. Besides, you’ll be like me and bloom later in life.” A typical thing for a good mother to say. Her mother had been her biggest ally and supported her misfit child all she could, the two had many similarities. They both liked to draw, they both had a similar humor, and both had strange dreams while sleeping and waking. To alleviate the haunting affect of the dreams Reina kept a sketchbook journal of the images she saw, it helped to get them out of her mind.
The night was like another. Really, it was.
The kitchen was closed for the night, laundry was done, and Reina leaned back in a chair placed in the corner of the bar behind the counter.
“Having a nice night, Reina?” Reina looked up to see Marius, her father’s only hired hand. He was there to handle horses and to keep an eye on the all female staff if things went awry. She smiled some at the boy.
“Nice enough,” she answered and watched him leave. The girl sat in the corner, sketchbook placed on her lap. The picture that faces upward was one of a hooded man entering the bar. She played with her charcoal pencil and began to sketch lightly the face of a woman, she did not know who it was really but felt as though she might have seen her once upon a time. Then without warning the doors flung open and a man in a dark hood stepped forward. Her sisters who were attending to the patrons rushed to the bar where their father was seeking protection.
“Who is he?” the three other girls all whispered amongst themselves while the drama unfolded ending with the wolf man asking for the best room. Reluctantly her father turned and grabbed the key off the hook and gave it to the man. The man rushed off saying some snide comment.
“Reina, tend to the man,” he told her. Reina nodded knowing full well one of her sisters would either faint or be unable to contain themselves around the stranger. Reina picked up her sketchbook and tucked it under her arm and followed the man to the room. At the top of the stair case Marius stopped her.
"If he hurts you call me," he whispered softly. Then Marius swiftly walked away. She waited a moment or two for him to settle himself before knocking.
“I am here to serve you,” she said in a flat tone. “I could get you food if you wanted or clean sheets.”
NaNoWriMo 2009 winner
Alaska

Postby Teegan » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:15 pm

(I didn't forget! I'm going to reply later tonight. )
Teegan

Postby Alaska » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:54 pm

(It has been quite a while. What have you been up to?)
NaNoWriMo 2009 winner
Alaska

Postby Teegan » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:53 pm

(Not much... college as well as work and learning songs/dances for a show I'm in this summer... i've just been busy, but I finally have time to come back! I'm so excited, even if not many people are still around. What about you?)

The hooded figure known as Farrahgo Silvertooth stalked up the stairs, his legs seeming to not move, giving him an eerie, floating appearance. Once at the top of the stairs, he heard the young woman's footsteps following. He raked his claws in annoyance along both sides of the hallway, peeling away any wallpaper and gouging the wood behind it. He growled deeply, the sound carrying easily into any open room, the occupants quickly shutting the doors in fear.

Farrahgo jammed the key into the lock and twisted sharply, a light, barely-audible snap issuing forth from the metal. He cursed the foul, cheap design under his breath before grabbing the door handle, the lock instantly springing open, and turning it, the door swinging inwards. He quickly entered the room, slamming the door shut, before crossing the room in two, swift strides and drawing the curtain on the only, dismal window which showed a pleasant view of the forest behind the Inn.

The mage was in the process of lighting a candle when he heard a knock at the door. He stood and plodded across the room, his leather boots tapping with each step. He swung the door open, and had to reposition his eyes downwards, towards the woman, to be able to see her at all.

"I am here to serve you. I could get you food if you wanted or clean sheets."

He contemplated a moment before attempting to give a polite smile, which went unseen under his hood. He turned back to look in his room, gaging what he would need. After a brief pause, he turned to her. "If you're going to serve me, get me fifteen more candles, chalk or charcoal, but I will add the chalk would be preferred." he spat, not waiting to see if she needed to begin writing to remember. "A well cooked pheasant as well as any chicken you could spare. I'll pay for them, of course," he continued, counting off everything else. "A bowl of soup, a pitcher of water poured in a reflective-bottomed pitcher, not glass," he demanded, " as well as any sort of news paper or bulletin boards or even notice boards you may have in the area," he concluded. "And if you have any extra, a swift horse or two, which I will also pay for once I have them acquired." He made sure to let her see the bag of gold in his possession before stowing it under his cloak and turning back into the room. "And close the door when you're finished," he said, seemingly turned his attention to 'more pressing matters'.
Teegan

Postby Alaska » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:06 am

((Acctually...I m in Japan right now and will return on Friday morning AK time. I am on my last year of high school then I graduate w00t! And I will be around as long as I have something to do. Also this keyboard is seriously funky so please be patient with any sort of typo there may be...))

Reina did not need to write it down, she had a good memory, a good head on her shoulders and being belittled by this...man irked her to no end. Quietly she contained her annoyance and just stared through him as he spoke. As soon as he was done she turned and left, closing the door behind her. The nerve of that man. What entitled him to treat her like that? Who in God's name did he think he was? Fuming, the young woman went to gather the things and start up the meal. The birds would take a while to cook but the other things she could take care of now. Reina was perhaps a little more forceful and rigid with her actions than she might have been normally. This did not go unnoticed by Marius.
"What has your feathers ruffed?" he asked with his crocked smile.
"Our guest, I don't know what makes him think he can act like the king of the world..." she stuffed the candles, chalk, newspaper, and bulletins into the basin and put the jug of water on he hip to keep it balanced. Marius gave her another sympathetic smile and patted her on the back as if he were one of his fellow chaps.
"Keep your head about you," he warned and turned to leave.
"Wait, Marius!" she called. "Do we have two fast horses we can sell the man?" Marius' brow furrowed.
"What for?" Reina shrugged.
"I am not sure but the faster the ride the faster he will leave and take his ego with him." Marius gave a little chuckle.
"Yeah, I'll have them tied out front for him. I really have to go now." Marius turned and left leaving Reina to return to Farrahgo.

The room that the man was currently staying in had not always been a guest room it had once belonged to the beautiful Kana, a woman who was so beautiful that it might have seemed unnatural and what was certainly unnatural was the sudden strange behavior she had nearly eight years ago. Kana would speak to people no one else could see, things would ketch fire, and she would flinch at things nearly a minute before it was necessary. And it would just so happen that this woman, Kana, was wife to Liam Hayz and mother to Ana, Ella, Grania (Also called Grace), and Reina.
The room had once been her sanctuary and was now Reina's when no one was renting it. Often no one would rent the room which meant that it was free for Reina's use. The room was a comfort to the young woman, there she felt empowered, felt her mother's spirit. Converting the room into a room fr the inn, to Reina, was like blasphemy. Since it was her sanctuary Reina had hidden some things, her drawings of the dreams she had for instance were under the fake bottom of the bedside table. The drawings were of random things, some meaningful, some not. Some of the more meaningful ones were of people, people Reina had never met before in her life, some were of creatures of magic that she had only heard of in stories. Either way the young woman knew that it was best if those were never ever found. However, when placing the man in the room she had not even thought that he may come across these things.

Reina knocked then opened the door without any trouble despite the broken key that was now jammed into the lock. She struggled with the load as she tried to set it on the table. The sketchbook that had been shoved under her arm fell to the floor and as luck or fate might have it the book opened to the page where she had drawn the premonition of the man coming into the inn. At first she did not notice since she was setting the table but as soon as she realized the book was on the floor and opened she snatched it up. This was precisely why she never let the thing out of her sight, in case someone would see. To divert attention from the issue at hand she started to force words out, anything at all.
“Umm…there are horses for you. Two, like you asked and the meal will be done shortly…”
NaNoWriMo 2009 winner
Alaska

Postby Teegan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:49 am

(That sounds like fun! I've always wanted to go to Japan... Haven't had a chance yet!)

This girl was taking too long. He stared out the window watching the wind buffet the trees, contemplating his next course of action. There was a small click as the door swung open behind him, he guessed the girl was back. He turned to look at her and watched as she struggled to place all the items on the table. Farrahgo didn't move to help, noting that helping others only weakens them. They do not fight their own battles, and therefore would not take the full brunt of the challenge.

His attention was caught by the sudden movement from under her arm. His eyes followed the small sketchbook on its travel down to the floor. His eyes latched onto it when it had come to rest on the ground. It seemed of little importance, just a sketch of...

A man entering a tavern, his robes of dark navy, his hood pulled high over his head. This man in the sketch looked suspiciously like Farrahgo, and he knew this girl didn't have time to sketch a work that detailed since he had arrived. His eyes remained on it until she scooped it up and hid it away, apparently knowing exactly what had happened. His eyes drifted to hers, seeing the slight fear in them, his suspicions were confirmed. Momentarily, he pushed the horses from his mind as he took a menacing stop towards her. "Where did you see this image you sketched," he said. He stopped moving forward, but he cast a glance around the room and made a small movement towards the door, which closed by itself and attempted to lock, though the click it gave was pretty convincing.
Teegan

Postby Alaska » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:18 pm

The click she heard the door mke s it closed was more than terrifying. As he stepped closer she stepped further away. Her movments wee fast and a little panicked. Reina moved so that there was a chair seperating them, as if the chair could do much.
"It is just a drawing," she told him, keeping the sketchbook in her clenched hands. If anyone was gongi to take it from her then they would have to pry it from her dead fingers. "I saw you come in and just drew it. You were not secretive about it, I assumed you WANTED to be seen. Besides, if anything ever happened to myself or one of my sisters I would have something to show...something to help ketch you." Reina smiled inwardly at her own cleveness to his answer. Her gaze stayed on him and attempted to hide any fear she had not of the monster that people said he was but rather that man who had her cornered lik a rat.

"I don't know why you care so much. You shoulden't care, really, I gave you what you want," she pulled the sketch out of the book and put her hand out towrds him. "If it means that much to you then take the stupid drawing. It wasn't that good anyways." Reina suddenly got the mental image (one from her on imagination) of her being taken away to the gallows or stake to be burnt or worse...the camps where they trtured and worked the inmates to death. Such a thing had befell upon her mother, Kana,or so it was assumed seeing as how Kana was never heard or seen of again after an Officer of the Courts took her away.
NaNoWriMo 2009 winner
Alaska

Postby Teegan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:48 am

He stared at this insolent girl, sizing her up. She seemed braver than she was. His feral instincts could smell the fear pulsing through her veins. She even had the nerve to hand him the picture and tell him to keep it. He stared it at for a moment before growling. "The detail is impeccable. There is no doubt in my mind the center of attention in this image is me, and unless you have some unnatural ability to draw perfectly AND quickly," he growled, "this was drawn before I had arrived here tonight." His hand shot outwards and his claws latched onto the piece of paper, his claws ripping through it easily. He tugged at it, wrenching it free from her feeble grasp and tossing it onto the floor behind him. He paid no mind to the chair between them. He had no need to move closer to this girl than he already had.

"What else have you drawn," he demanded, his arm returning back to his side. "What other premonitions have you stored on paper?" He closed his eyes and increased his awareness of his surroundings, sensing no others in the immediate area. He forced his will into a bludgeoning weapon, and mentally probed at this young girl, trying to read her mind. This was his least powerful form of magic, but he knew he still had skill. He searched for any crack of weakness, exploiting it to find the truth of the answer she would give. He forced himself through a small crack inside her head, hoping she hadn't been expecting an attack like this, and immediately began searching for the answer so he would know the truth before the words escaped her mouth.
Teegan

Postby Alaska » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:45 am

What was happening?  That was what shot through her mind as this thing tried to get into her inner most thoughts. No…no! Get out! She screamed inwardly. Her head wrenched away as if physically moving it would do her much of anything. As he searched her mind she could also see what it was he discovered. Memories, images, everything was visual to her now. The real world melted away slowly.
The first thing to come forth was the memory of her drawing the picture in the first place. It had been days ago and her sister Ella was yelling at her to clean the dishes. Reina’s inner commentary on what she thought of Ella at the moment and where she could stick the dirty dishes were heard but apparently not by Ella.

After that it was of her as a child, a memory that had long been repressed or stowed away for safe keeping. Reina appeared to not be older than six. She laid on her stomach drawing a child’s drawing of her and a wolf holding hands. The drawing was decent for a six year old but that was about it.
“What have you drawn, dearest?” came a woman’s voice. Reina’s mother came into view as she knelt beside the child.
“Me and a wolf,” she told her. “We’re friends.”
“That’s stupid,” came the sound of Ana’s high pitched voice. “Wolves would sooner eat you than be your friend, dumb-dumb!” Again the inner monologue of Reina could be heard only this time it was that of a hurt six year old girl wondering why the dream she had had was stupid.

Other images of things she had had visions of came forward. An old woman in the mountains bent over a puddle mumbling to herself, a man on his deathbed who looked oddly enough like the current king of the lands, another of the woman, an image of a beautiful lady who looked like it could be one of Reina’s sisters, and finally one of a happy family: father, wife, daughter. The images then gave way to another memory, again, this time Reina as a girl.
The girl was sitting down, facing the wall and spoke to it as if speaking to someone invisible person. Kana walked in to see her daughter talking to no one.
“Honey, what are you doing?” she asked sounding a little worried.
“I’m talking to a woman named Glinda. She says she is a Fey, I can’t believe I’m talking to one, I’ve only heard of them in stories!” Reina’s excited voice revealed the smile that was spread across her face. Kana’s face looked terrified and she stepped closer and knelt down to face her daughter.
“Reina, I have a gift for you…” she pulled a stone on a leather cord from around her neck and placed it in her daughter’s hands. “Promise me you will never take it off. Never, ever.” At that point as if out of nowhere Farrahgo was forced out of her mind before the memory could be finished completely.

Once freed Reina gasped and braced herself against the chair. Her eyes were wide with terror at the idea that this man had been rummaging through her mind. What did all of these miss-matched random things mean to him anyways?
NaNoWriMo 2009 winner
Alaska

Next

Return to General Role Playing