[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
• View topic - Get lost

Get lost

Get lost

Postby Katey » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:38 am

Sometimes Holden liked to get lost.

It wasn't that he didn't like to be at home, with his parents disinterestedly asking him how school was while looking scornfully at his marks. It wasn't that he didn't enjoy his large bedroom, nearly empty while most of his personal possessions were at Hogwarts. It wasn't that he couldn't stand his younger sister's messiness or general absentmindedness, or that he missed his older sister, the only warm person in his family.

He told himself these things as he sped away from his house, dressed in black pinstripe pants with a matching vest over a black shirt. He had shed his robes and dressed quickly, desperate to get out of the house before he had to suffer another dinner with his family. Dinner was in two hours, and he told himself over and over while fiddling with his silver cufflinks, that he would be back by then, back to being an obedient Slytherin son who would never sneak off into the muggle part of town.

He wasn't sure where he was going, but he wanted to get there quickly. He nearly ran, worried that he would sweat and thus ruin his outfit, but slowed down when he reached his first muggle landmark: a pub.

He could use a drink. Holden hesitated, as though worried that crossing the threshold of a muggle establishment would turn him into one. Hadn't he learned not to eat muggle food? He was sure anything his family had told him about muggles was rubbish, so he shook the thought off and stepped inside.

He noticed a small table free, so he sat down, feeling awkward that he was alone. He tapped his fingers impatiently on the wooden surface of the table, waiting for someone to come take his drink order. They couldn't come soon enough.
Katey
Admin

Re: Get lost

Postby Skatie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:48 am

As much as Enna enjoyed the privilege of attending Hogwarts, she cherished the time she was able to spend at her small home in Ireland. She was very close to her parents, who worked hard to provide her with an education that they neither had for themselves nor even understood fully. Her father was but a fisherman, out on his boat all day long with the lads and her mother worked as a seamstress at a local boutique. It was only fitting, then, that Enna do her part to bring in money when she was able to do so. She had taken up a job at the local pub on the edge of town, raking in tips for her service in very short shorts and a tight t-shirt. When she got past the hideous uniform, she didn't hate the job quite as much.

It was a treat when Liam, her older brother, had ducked in for a pint at his lunch hour. She had gladly served him and his mates their mid-day meal and flushed prettily when the older men flirted mildly with her. They were gone now and the day was winding down. It was but a minute until her shift was due to end when her boss, the gruff bartender, ordered her to take one last table before heading out. Sighing, Enna obliged him this courtesy with a tip in mind and headed over to the lone man.

"Hello," she offered him a smile. He looked terribly familiar, this lad, though she wasn't able to place him straight away. "What can I get for you?"

Skatie
On-Site Admin

Postby Katey » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:00 am

As eager as Holden had been for someone to take his order, he froze when she asked. Staring down at the table, he went frantically through the normal drinks. He didn't suppose they had butterbeer. He could use something stronger anyway. Firewhiskey? Was firewhiskey exclusively a wizard thing? He realized he had no idea.

Flustered was not a state that Holden liked to be in, and that only made him more flustered. He looked up at the waitress, eyes wide, hands involuntarily going up in a sort of small shrug.

"Er," he started. He wasn't sure how to continue, but that beginning felt right somehow. "Er, what do you, uh, recommend?" His voice went up at the end along with his hands.

Holden gave her a confused smile and stared at her, hoping she would help him out. While staring, probably impolitely but clearly not lecherously, as he focused on her face, he realized he recognized her. He felt like she was someone he had seen on a regular basis for the past several years--yes, a schoolmate. But how could that be, he wondered. Wouldn't everyone who worked here be a muggle? Perhaps he only wished she were a schoolmate so that he could have a witch to help him understand the muggle world through magical eyes. In any case, it would be better if she weren't, considering what a fool he had made of himself already. He certainly didn't want tales of this display getting back to his friends.
Katey
Admin

Postby Skatie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:10 am

He appeared to be so flustered that, for just a moment, Enna felt a wave of discomfort. Whether it was empathy for him or uneasiness that someone who was so flustered must be up to no good, she didn't know. She was patient, though, as he stumbled over his words.

"Well, do you want to eat or just drink?" she asked, not in any way condescending. She most earnestly wanted to help him, to see his discomfort melt away. "Are you in the mood for something strong or something mild?" She could certainly make the suggestions but she would first need to know the desires.

Enna was the polar opposite of imposing. She was slight of figure and not terribly tall, her hair bright and thick. When she worked at the pub, she chose not to don her thick-framed glasses. At school, she wore them nearly all the time. It was funny how such a small detail could so drastically change one's entire appearance. She wondered if this stranger had a similar tell. Would she recognize him more fully if he were to put on some spectacles or don a trusty old hat? What was it about him that rang so familiar to her?

Skatie
On-Site Admin

Postby Katey » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:50 am

Holden was embarrassed that the waitress was being so nice. He had expected to be kicked out, or at least laughed at. But then, he supposed, you got used to the reactions of those who surrounded you, and Holden was surrounded by his cold family and the cruel people he had to call friends. Her kindness was embarrassing because it was unexpected, but also because, to him, it seemed more like the way you should treat a child--gently explaining despite complete ignorance. No one he knew would tolerate such ignorance in an adult.

He realized, though, that it actually was quite helpful and he might very well be able to order.

"Well, I," he began. Holden stuck his hand nervously into his pocket. He felt coins and his heart sank. Muggle money. He hadn't even thought about it. There was no way they would accept wizard money here. He grabbed a few coins and looked at them longingly, wishing they were--whatever it was muggles used.

"I don't have any mug--any money," he told the waitress. He put his hand on the table, absentmindedly transporting a few knuts to its surface as he did so. Fresh from Gringott's, they gleamed against the dull wooden background.

"I'm sorry for wasting your time." He looked up at the waitress with downcast eyes. He had wanted to get away for a while, but he supposed it was time to go back to where he belonged.
Katey
Admin

Postby Skatie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:16 pm

The man was extremely confusing to behold. By appearance, he seemed almost regal and the sort of man who would be one to carry himself with his head held high. His behavior, however, was so contradictory that he left Enna looking quite puzzled with him. His uncertainty did nothing to deduct from his being terribly handsome, in her opinion, though she did wish she understood what had him so out of sorts.

Then, the last thing she had expected to happen had happened. The young man claimed he had no money, in spite of his wealthy attire, and gave her a morose look of apology. She was about to smile with understanding and tell him he was welcome to sit if that was all he wished to do, when the light gleamed upon a couple of coins he had dropped onto the table. Knuts.

"You're a..." she began, startled. Her eyes darted from the coins to his face, making a quick correlation now that she had the clue. "Oh!" she smiled, feeling foolish that it hadn't clicked sooner. She looked about herself to ensure no one was within earshot, then dropped into the seat across from him and leaned forward. "You're a wizard! I thought you looked familiar. Don't worry about the Muggle money," she smiled at him, now almost excited that there was another magical person near her home. "I'll take care of it."

Skatie
On-Site Admin

Postby Katey » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:00 pm

((I wrote this on my phone. I hope you appreciate how dedicated I am to you. <3))

Holden was already getting up to leave when the waitress interrupted him. He blinked at her, eyebrows raised, then smiled, looking down at his hands. He wasn't sure which emotion was stronger--relief that he had found a witch to help him out or embarrassment that a schoolmate had seen him in this situation. 

He couldn't quite place her, but he knew she must have been a Hogwarts student. The only other place Holden regularly met wizards was through his family, and he couldn't picture anyone they associated with in a place like this. 

Then again, he couldn't picture anyone in a place like this associating with the type who ruled the gossip at school. Holden would have to trust that she wouldn't tell anyone of his embarrassment. He pulled himself together, his usual confidence returning with a one-sided smile. 

"You sure?" he asked. "I'll pay you back in galleons, whatever it is." He looked down, then back up at the waitress, who was now across from him. "Of course, I still don't know what muggles drink." He smiled a little wider, hoping she would forget about how flustered he had been earlier. "I'm Holden, by the way."
Katey
Admin

Postby Skatie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:25 pm

Enna's pretty face was bright with the knowledge that there was someone so close to home with whom she could be herself. Coming from a Muggle family, she tried to keep her magical abilities to a minimum around them, just so as not to overwhelm them. She gazed on Holden, amused by how quickly he acquired a handsome air of confidence now.

"We have a lot of things like Firewhiskey," she offered him, still not really knowing what he was in the mood for. "Nothing quite as good as butterbeer, though. Or, if you're hungry, we have the best fish and chips. My Da supplies the fish, so it's the freshest fish you've ever tasted."

"Everything all right here?" the bartender and owner happened by, eyebrow raised slightly in suspicion because Enna was taking so long getting the order.

"Fine," Enna smiled up at him. "He's a schoolmate." This seemed to placate the owner and he nodded, then returned to the bar. Her shift was officially over, anyway, so he couldn't be too aggravated that she was taking time if she knew the customer.

"I'm Enna," she then returned to Holden. "Enna Keane. I think you're a year ahead of me at Hogwarts. Right?"

Skatie
On-Site Admin

Postby Katey » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:46 am

Holden considered the choices she had offered. He didn't particularly want to get back to dinner at his house drunk or full. But then, he didn't particularly want to get back to dinner at his house at all. Finally admitting that to himself made him realize that he was hungry. His family ate dinner too late. Another thing that annoyed him about them. 

"Fish and chips sounds brilliant, actually. I haven't had any dinner yet." Holden was mildly alarmed at the smile on his face. It was bigger than any he had given since getting home, and was sticking around much longer. 

"As for a drink..." he thought about it for a moment. Now that he had someone to talk to, he felt less inclined to down an entire bottle of firewhiskey. "Nothing too strong, but maybe not too weak either." His smile took a mischievous tilt, turning briefly crooked. 

"I'm seventh year," he said in answer to her question. "That would make you sixth, then." He paused. The question forming in his head wasn't quite related, but he felt it as good a time as any to bring it up. "What're you doing working in a place like this?" 
Katey
Admin

Postby Skatie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:11 am

"I have just the thing," Enna smiled, giving him a mischievous wink of her own. The pub had several fine brews on tap, all of which would suffice for a strong enough drink that wasn't up to the caliber of Firewhiskey or, if you were a Muggle, hard liquors. Now that she had a better idea of what he had a taste for, she knew he wouldn't go away displeased with the pub.

Perhaps it was because her Da supplied the fish to the pub that Enna felt so protective of it. She didn't wish to have her schoolmate thinking poorly of the establishment, though it really was just a run of the mill Irish pub. The more fish and chips the owner sold, the more he bought from her Da. That was money that the Keanes could use. It helped that she wasn't exaggerating; the fish here was truly the best in town. Or anywhere.

"Sixth," she nodded in confirmation. "Let me go put your order in quickly and get you a drink, then we can talk. You're my last table," she explained. Enna hurried off to do as she had said, pulling him a pint of Killians and returning to him in a flash. She took her seat once more, then readied herself to answer his question.

"Anyway," she sighed, though she was still smiling. "I try to help out when I'm not at school. Everyone lends a hand at my home and it's only fair I do my part when I can. Hogwarts is... a really great school, but sometimes it can be costly, you know?" She had no idea that he was as wealthy as he was, though she knew that many students were so wealthy that it didn't occur to them that attending Hogwarts was expensive. She refused to be ashamed, though. Her family was hard working and there was no shame in that.

Skatie
On-Site Admin

Next

Return to Outside Hogwarts