Diagonally [OPEN]

Diagonally [OPEN]

Postby Skatie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:37 am

Ember Lambrick S7

Some would advise against visiting Diagon Alley in the week prior to start of term, especially if you were not a first year in search of your list of items. The streets were always over-crowded with families rushing about, trying to get a hold of all the requirements for their ickle firsties. The worst were those whose oldest children were eleven, having no previous experience with the process. The general chaos was usually enough to keep returning students away.

It wasn't just a normal start of term, however. No, this was the term in which all students would be returning to Hogwarts following the epic Battle of Hogwarts. Since the final collapse of the Dark Lord, Diagon Alley had become alive after a season of darkness. Those shops which had been boarded up and abandoned were once again in business. For this reason, more than just the usual first year students would have need of visiting Diagon Alley.

Ember Lambrick took no pleasure in the trip. She had even recommended her family's house elf to go in her stead, which was not entirely out of the question. Her mother, however, had been concerned that Ember would miss out on some social benefit of being seen in the Wizarding town at this most important time. Her families ties to the Dark Lord must be fully severed, she had said, and she believed that her children's acting like other children was a key. Ember maintained that she was insane.

So, having collected what meager items she had need of for the start of her seventh year at Hogwarts, Ember now perched herself on a seat outside of Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour. She sipped at a frozen strawberry lemonade and watched the people passing by, all rushed and half frantic. She only vaguely wondered where her brother had disappeared to, more concerned with the fact that she had only run into two or three of her own mates, all of which had already returned to their respective homes.
I am a writer. I hide behind my words so that you'll never know me, but you'll know more about me than I could ever explain.
Maeby Kate | 26 | Michigan/Virginia
Skatie
On-Site Admin

Re: Diagonally [OPEN]

Postby Christain » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:51 pm

Axis Reker G7

Axis moved down the street casually, glancing around and grinning some at the weird looks he got. Granted… he probably deserved them, which amused him all the more. Unlike the adults and students that milled around him… he’d skipped out on wearing his robes. He’d come straight here from work at the muggle mechanic shop his uncle owned and was still wearing a pair of faded, old holy jeans and a dark soft t-shirt. There might even have been an oil stain or two on his jeans. His long orange hair was even pulled into a high ponytail still, tugged tight from his face.

He’d figured out it was just easier, coming here to get his supplies after work then go home from there. It was such a long way from home and between the small orange tabby sitting on his shoulders under his hair and the arm full of books and such he was going to have… he wasn’t exactly sure he wanted to apparate. It wasn’t his strong suit… in fact it was the exact opposite of his strong suit. So he'd driven his father's old beat up truck.

He travelled through the book shop and left, only faltered slightly at the three younger wizards snickering and laughing at him. It was usually easy to throw that off without his temper exploding, the purring in his ear from his tabby helped. Tara was his often constant companion that went everywhere with him. He was just nerd enough to call her his familiar. He couldn’t talk to her but she somehow always knew when his temper was spiking.

Rather than retort to their jeers he stuck his tongue out at them, despite how childish it might be and turned to continue on… only to trip over SOMEONE’s foot. He skipped a few steps on one leg, finally managing to maintain his balance AND keep a hold on his book, only hissing slightly at the feel of claws in his shoulder from Tara before composing himself and turning to see who’d he’d tripped on. He blinked some then gave a sheepish albeit apologetic grin, rubbing his neck, she was his year, Slytherin. “Ah… Ember. Man, I’m so sorry, I wasn’t watching where I was going and ya know, one thing led to anotha… then here I was falling for ya.”
Dominic Mychal R6
Axis Reker G7
Keiki Reese H5
Elijah Kirie

World of Darkness Queen.
Christain

Postby Skatie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:27 pm

She saw him coming from quite a distance. How could she miss him with his bright hair and haggard appearance? Ember gave the slightest shake of her head, inwardly wondering how he managed to get on while looking like such a disheveled mess half the time. For herself, she was always well put together, never so much as a strand of honey hued hair out of place. She couldn't imagine stepping into public smeared with grease or any other product.

Ember gasped a little when he managed to trip over her foot, involuntarily jerking her boot back as he went stumbling forward. To watch him was near to hilarious, truly, and by the time he had steadied himself, the girl was biting back a laugh at his expense. Her gaze flickered to his, amusement dancing there.

"You aren't the first to fall for me," she informed him smoothly, smoothing hair back with a delicate finger. "You won't be the last."

They were far from mates, she and this Gryffindor, and yet he did offer some form of entertainment at the moment. Ember's status among her own social circle was so solid that she hardly feared repercussion for being seen with someone as ridiculous as Axis Reker. As that was, she placed her boot on the chair opposite herself and nudged it out in a sign that she wanted him to join her. "Let me see that cat," she held out her hand expectantly, a brow slightly lifted.
I am a writer. I hide behind my words so that you'll never know me, but you'll know more about me than I could ever explain.
Skatie
On-Site Admin

Postby Christain » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:42 pm

His grin widened some, brows shooting up a bit as he watched her, tugging at his t-shirt some almost self consciously. He was indeed rather shabby next to her. He wasn't often one to care about his appearance, there were considerably more important things in life than what one looked like, at least in his opinion. He made up for it in personality... if you could consider his insanely childish charm.... worthy personality.

"Mmm, girl I know you didn't." He said, adopting an american girly accent and doing a funny snap with his fingers before sitting down giving another goofy grin.

He used humor as a deterrent and over time it just became his personality. It helped that he liked making people laugh, or at least smile. If he couldn't make you smile chances were that he either wasn't your biggest fan, or that he had made it his goal in life to make you smile and/or laugh. Yeah... he was that guy.

His brows rose at her request, bright and vivid green eyes going from her face to her hand, both brows raising comically. "Huh what?" He asked, glancing around. "What cat? Oh that cat?" He turned his head some to eye Tara sitting on his shoulder, watching Ember curiously. "Well Tara, what do you think?" In answer she started crawling down his chest making him wince at the unneeded use of the claws. "Fine fine." He scooped his hand under the feline's belly and sat her on the table, watching as she prowled over to Ember and sat, watching her. For a mostly full grown cat, Tara was small, having been the runt of an litter that already was small in stature. She exuded personality though, and attitude.
Dominic Mychal R6
Axis Reker G7
Keiki Reese H5
Elijah Kirie

World of Darkness Queen.
Christain

Postby Skatie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:13 pm

Ember's expression was one of incredulous unamusement when Axis adopted an American accent with her. There was being humorous, which he had been in tripping over her boot, and then there was trying too hard. She gave one slow shake of her head, letting him know he probably shouldn't try that again.

It pleased Ember to see that little cat claw its way down the poor fellow's chest, a hint of a smirk at her lips as she watched. Her hand remained there, welcoming Tara to come along and greet her. It seemed that cat had other ideas about how a cat ought to greet a human. She sat and the two stared at one another for a moment, neither speaking.

"Well," Ember finally spoke up. "You're quite a lady in spite of your daddy being a complete mess." She then reached out and rubbed the cat's ear nicely, seeming to approve of her snooty attitude. "I think your cat should have been sorted into Slytherin."
Skatie
On-Site Admin

Postby Christain » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:27 am

He grinned some. His accent was at least good enough to be passable. He'd always been told he'd make a wonderful actor, and had even been pushed into some plays when he was like.... nine. But it was surely for humor that he did it, even if it was over the top. Dramatics were hella fun, but his passion was art.

He'd wanted to be an architect as a child of all things. Everyone else wanted to be the cliche and over achieving doctors or astronauts... Axis wanted to build things. Which is half of what made him such a good mechanic... it just... wasn't his dream. Even after attending Hogwarts, you could still find him on any given day, randomly doodling schematics for an over the top building of some kind.

He watched curiously as Tara greeted Ember in her own way. He huffed some and stuck his tongue out at Ember as he sat his books on the table and stretched, long legs stretching in front of him and popping his back. "I'm not a complete mess. I just didn't bother cleaning up before shopping after work. I don't ALWAYS look like this." He argued, suddenly not sure why he was even bothering.

Tara on the other hand was purring contently and pressing her head into Ember's hand. "Sometimes I do too..." Axis muttered, watching. "She's way to argumentative."
Dominic Mychal R6
Axis Reker G7
Keiki Reese H5
Elijah Kirie

World of Darkness Queen.
Christain

Postby Skatie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:51 pm

Ember soaked in the attention being awarded to her by the feline, soon abandoning all pretense and scooping Tara into her arms affectionately. She was definitely among those girls who would melt at anything furry, more so when it purred. Her own pet, a Maine Coon cat, was several times larger than this little baby cat.

"What's her name?" she asked him, realizing that she didn't know. "My cat is nearly a mountain lion. It's nice to hold something little again."

Ember's eyes ran over Axis, noting his appearance once more in light of his arguments. "What do you do?" she asked, crinkling her nose slightly. She had never worked a day in your life, you see, and she couldn't imagine what sort of work would leave you looking so filthy. She was only glad that he hadn't rubbed his filth onto Tara's soft fur. "You take your cat to work with you?"
Skatie
On-Site Admin

Postby Christain » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:25 am

Axis watched absently as Ember loved on his cat. She'd always had a mind of her own since she was first scooped into his arms from the barn when he was 11 just days before his departure to Hogwarts. He'd thought she might have been a burden at first, after all Hogwarts was where he was going to GET AWAY from all the daily responsibilities of the farm... taking care of a cat had only been one of them. He soon learned though that she pretty much took care of herself, even as a kitten.

He was wrong though, and wouldn't give Tara up in the world. She was almost his only real friend. He had lots of acquaintances but no real person who wanted to be with him all the time, not like her. He tried not to dwell on exactly how pitiful that made him feel. It wasn't his nature to dwell... or care.

He brought his attention back to the present with the matter of a second. "Tara. She's full grown." He said absently.

Axis glanced down at himself almost warily. "I'm a mechanic?" He answered lamely, and the statement sounded as though he were asking it, despite his best efforts. That was him, speak first react later. "And Yes, I do, she kinda goes everywhere with me... not by choice mind you... she claws me till I let her and wont speak to me for DAYS if I don't. Once it was a whole three weeks."
Dominic Mychal R6
Axis Reker G7
Keiki Reese H5
Elijah Kirie

World of Darkness Queen.
Christain

Postby Skatie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:35 am

"She's still tiny," Ember informed him, denying his claim that the cat was full grown. It didn't really matter what she believed, of course, but she preferred to think she was playing with a kitten for whatever reason. The cat certainly had personality, not unlike Ember's own feline counterpart.

"A mechanic?" she returned, tone similarly uncertain. "A...Muggle mechanic?" After all, she had no idea that magical mechanics would exist or be needed. Her own family, for their part, refused to use anything so archaic as vehicles. Apparation was their only means of transport, along with the occasion trip via Floo.

"Lady, my cat," Ember told him, not looking at him as she stroked Tara's soft fur, "hates strangers. She would never want to go with me anywhere, least of all somewhere crowded. She's quite a princess, about the size of a small dog."
Skatie
On-Site Admin

Postby Christain » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:23 pm

He was still watching her from the corner of his eyes even as he once more stretched lazily again. He always seemed to be moving, constantly fidgeting or shifting in his seat. "She's old now." he said, smirking some, almost bursting into laughter as Tara glanced back at him as though to glare. It was almost uncanny, but it was also how she usually looked at him. Axis liked to call it her witch face.

"Yes, A MUGGLE mechanic... you know... fixing things... without magic..." He paused for a moment then waved his hand. "Well I mean I kinda adapted some of my own magic to fixing things once I was of age, but dont tell anyone." He pressed his fingers against his lips. "Uncle says that that's cheating." He winked. Having been muggle born, Axis had started at a young age learning how to do various things to help his father, which included learning how to help his Uncle for some extra cash, much less taking care of the farm.

He smirked some. "Like owner like cat." he said teasingly, then hesitated. "Only... not the size of a small dog, and I'm not sure that you absolutely hate strangers in the same sense a cat does... but Princess all the same." He amended.
Dominic Mychal R6
Axis Reker G7
Keiki Reese H5
Elijah Kirie

World of Darkness Queen.
Christain

Next

Return to Diagon Alley