The Matilda Complex

Climb the winding staircase to the blue and bronze Ravenclaw Tower.

Re: The Matilda Complex

Postby Skatie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:58 pm

What was the real phenomenon was that Silas was naturally incapable of reading a person. Oh, he could memorize a book in under five minutes and he could do maths that were ridiculously complex, but he was absolutely not great in the area of people reading. He had little to no idea that Analiese was wound that tightly. As arrogant as he was, Silas truly didn't understand how hard it was for Analiese to achieve the marks she was getting in her courses.

When she spun on him with such vigor, Silas just watched her with a look of interested amusement, one brow just slightly lifted. He had, of course, endured similar or worse insults in his time. His peers were often jealous of his natural intellect and he had quite a bad habit of flaunting his successes in their faces. Somehow, though, the fact that her eyes were strangely bright and she appeared to be shaking kept him from exacerbating the situation.

"Whoa, kitten. No need to hiss," he smiled, then furrowed his brow when she turned away to pack her books. "Magic?" he quipped to her statement of studying things that mattered. "University is where muggles spend years of their lives after graduating from their equivalent of this school. They can literally learn anything at university. I can be anything I want, whether I'm a wizard or not. You? Well, you'll make a cute little Healer or some shit," he shrugged.

When she sat down, Silas realized that she had finally gotten a rise out of him. He didn't appreciate her saying that he wasn't going to be doing things that mattered. He wanted to matter. He needed to matter. He watched her, a vein twitching just visibly in his forehead. "You don't have to scorn what you don't understand, Analiese. I would teach you if you wanted."
I am a writer. I hide behind my words so that you'll never know me, but you'll know more about me than I could ever explain.
Maeby Kate | 26 | Michigan/Virginia
Skatie
On-Site Admin

Postby Reaver » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:46 am

She was fuming. Silas had really struck a nerve this time, and at the worst possible moment. He didn't understand, and as far as Analiese was concerned he didn't want to care. Their rivalry had been a rocky one through the years, but steady. Now, though, there was something else, something was changing. He was pushing her too far, and she was finding herself too emotional around him. Silas Whitney was the only person in school capable of actually hurting her feelings.

"Oh, its a school for muggles then?" She tossed back, not bothering to look over her shoulder towards him. "Then why haven't you gone yet if it's so much better than wizarding school, you won't be missed if you leave."

Staring ahead, now sitting, furious with Silas, furious with her ripped duffel, Analiese's eyes were filling up and if she wasn't careful, tears would spill over, betraying her attempt to remain cool. "You know nothing of my understanding" She managed to slowly formulate, as to try to hide her faltering voice. This was too much, she couldn't stay her and let him see her cry.
Ratted out in Hades, forced to return to Rockville with nothing but a rucksack. Hard lesson learned.

You want to know my political persuasion? Well sugar I howl at the moon. Can ya dig it?

character carnival--->
http://kbird.webs.com
meow!
Reaver

Postby Skatie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:05 pm

Silas watched her, part of him ridiculously amused but a smaller part a little concerned. In all their years at Hogwarts, he couldn't remember ever seeing her so unhinged. Perhaps another student might have understood that she was over-worked and reaching the end of her rope, for most students had felt the same at one time or another. Silas had never even glimpsed the end of his rope, however. He wouldn't recognize it if it slapped him in the face.

"Muggles don't go to University until they're eighteen," he quipped back, finding himself offended at her statement. "I was accepted when I was eleven. I don't have to choose one or the other; I can do both. Unlike you, I have the capacity to do anything and do it well. Pure dumb luck that you're a witch, really. You'd never make it otherwise."

It was a mean, downright nasty thing to say. Silas was proud, too, though. He didn't like people insulting his intelligence, as she was doing. Silas might have been arrogant and he might have had it easy in pretty much every aspect of his life, but being overly intelligent also had it's cons. He felt isolated from his peers for the most part, unable to really have fun due to not being able to understand why they found most things fun or humorous. He sought camaraderie with Analiese because he thought she could understand being set apart; being better.

Apparently not. "Damn straight," he snapped at her. "It's impossible to know about something that doesn't exist."
I am a writer. I hide behind my words so that you'll never know me, but you'll know more about me than I could ever explain.
Skatie
On-Site Admin

Postby Reaver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:27 pm

If she would have been thinking clearly, and if this were one of those rare days where the two rivals didn't have much to argue about, Analiese would have probably inquired about this University Silas was speaking of. It was a strange concept, strange and wonderful in the fact that no one in her family would have known about this. If this were something she could also do, perhaps she would finally be able to prove herself.

On the other hand, who wanted to go to school any longer than they had to? This University was strange, indeed., and something that would surely cause more stress. Analiese hardly knew what she wanted to do in the wizarding world. She couldn't imagine having to learn things involved in a new world. Then again, that's what muggleborns did upon attending Hogwart's. If they could do it, surely she could.

But what Silas went on to say really hurt, pure dumb luck that she was a witch. It was a terrible thing to say, the worst, and for a moment Analiese forgot that she was even angry. The hurt in her eyes was clear as the nose on her face, but she had nothing to say in retaliation. Silas was right, she had nothing but stubborn, obsessive determination. Hell, she wasn't even a good witch.

As tenacious as she was, the girl knew when enough was enough. She knew she had been defeated, once again, by the hands of Silas. What she didn't know was how to make it stop. Neither of the two Ravenclaws were the type to be the first to throw up their hands and back down, that's what made them such a passionate match. "You... You don't hear yourself, do you?" She finally asked quietly, her gaze purposefully fixed downward to hide the tears that were coming, whether she wanted them to or not.
Ratted out in Hades, forced to return to Rockville with nothing but a rucksack. Hard lesson learned.

You want to know my political persuasion? Well sugar I howl at the moon. Can ya dig it?

character carnival--->
meow!
Reaver

Postby Skatie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:19 pm

Silas took pride in the fact that he had transitioned so easily into becoming a Wizard. Learning about a whole new world hadn't been nearly as daunting for him as it had been for other Muggleborns. He enjoyed it just as much, though. Especially his first trip into Diagon Alley. It was a memory he would never forget. He had never felt overwhelmed, though.

He was feeling pretty slick with his sharp insult, knowing it was one that would sting. It wasn't until he saw how sincerely hurt she appeared that he felt less proud of his words. She had insulted his intelligence so he felt he had been perfectly within his right to return the favor, but he didn't enjoy seeing her look at him that way. He almost hated it and that made him pretty annoyed at the whole situation.

"I hear myself just fine," he replied to her coolly, not liking her insinuation. Did she really think she was any better when they got into these verbal battles? Because she wasn't. "I just hear you louder. You want to insult me, be prepared to catch it back twice as raw. You started this, you know. I just wanted to talk." He shrugged, not even lying. He really had just wanted someone to talk to; to quell his boredom.

But, some days this was just the way it was between them. Tomorrow, it would probably be better.
Skatie
On-Site Admin

Postby Reaver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:46 pm

As quickly as the tears had formed, she somehow managed to conjure up the power to hold them back. This was stupid. She knew it, and somewhere in that thick head of his, Silas must have known it too. "I didn't start this." She answered simply, but honestly. Her rival knew very well the things that aroused her tensions and had purposefully picked for his own sadistic enjoyment, as usual. Well, she didn't exactly know whether it was a sadistic enjoyment of his or not, seeing her in such distress, but assumed, because everyone else in school knew better than to mess with her, surely Silas did too.

"You saw I was busy, and had your way anyhow." Taking a deep breath, Analiese stood up to face him, showing Silas that she absolutely could take everything she dished out as equally as him. It was unfortunate that her eyes were still glistening from the threat of tears, but it didn't matter. Sometimes this prat needed to know that she only cast angry words in self defense, and the things he said hurt.

Pulling her shoulders back and perking her chin up, the girl crossed her arms and stepped up to him, closer than she'd ever allowed herself to get to her rival. So close, in fact, it wouldn't have taken much effort to slap that arrogant face of his, that oh-so-attractive face of his. Why did he have to be so damn good looking? Was Analiese blushing?

"But, fine." Analiese continued. "You obviously have my attention now. So talk."

character carnival--->
meow!
Reaver

Postby Skatie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:03 pm

Who knew what was going on inside Silas' head. Too much to analyze, more than likely. One moment he was certain he hated her and the next, he didn't even dislike her. It was a strange tug of war inside of him that he didn't particularly enjoy and he certainly wasn't going to admit to it going on. Did he know that he was going to get a rise out of her? Well, yes. But that didn't mean he got any sadistic enjoyment out of it.

Nothing she said or did proved to Silas that she only cast daggers when under attack. She was always snapping at him, quite irrationally, and he had a hard time believing that he was always the instigator. To her, his breathing caused offense! She was absolutely impossible and sometimes downright infuriating. "Had my way?" he challenged incredulously. "What the hell was my way?" he asked.

She stepped forward and Silas looked down at her with a raised brow. Did she think she could intimidate him with her stature? He could blow her over with a breath. He chuckled a little, showing his amusement at her actions. "You need to work on your social skills, love. Telling someone to talk is hardly any way to start a friendly conversation."
Skatie
On-Site Admin

Postby Reaver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:47 pm

One minute she was about to cry, now she wanted to laugh in his face. He seriously didn't get it. She was sick of fighting though. Fighting with Silas tore her soul every time. A part of her hated him and everything about him with a passion. Another part of her, a part that sometimes she wished she could squash the life out of, craved his attention. Analiese didn't mean to be so snappy towards him all the time. That boy struck a very deep nerve with her. Not only could she not tell if she enjoyed it or hated it, she was deathly afraid to find the answer.

The situation seemed to turn humorous, according to Silas, who had given a chuckle. "What?" She asked, dropping her gaze to her arms before uncrossing them and glancing back up. Did he think she was physically challenging him? Analiese didn't understand what he expected. He knew he was bugging her when he saw her busy at the bookshelf, provoked her, then accused her of having no social skills as she attempted to make peace.

"You're right," She conceded for the first time ever to him, verbally. It wasn't that simple though. Analiese literally could not count the number of times the two of them had ever been involved in any sort of friendly conversation. In fact, she couldn't recall a single time. "So how would you expect we go about a friendly conversation?"

character carnival--->
meow!
Reaver

Postby Skatie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:04 am

The truth of the matter was simple: individuals of superior intellect often struggled with social relationships. They were more apt to spend time with a book than with another person. This was true, but only to an extent, with Silas Whitney. He appeared to have no trouble making friends, but he didn't enjoy his friendships. He bored of them or he bored his friends with his incessant need to prove he was better than them. What sane person wanted a friend who was so conceited all the time? So, both could likely use some social skill improvement.

Analiese Brightwell conceded a point. Well, that was unexpected. Silas was quiet for a moment, his face completely impassive. How did he even digest that she had just basically told him he was right? He was used to being right, of course, but not to her thinking so.

"Talk about something other than school?" he suggested. He really didn't know. He wasn't even certain that he wanted to have a friendly conversation, as he did like to poke at her to see what she would do. So, maybe he was the instigator. Oops.
Skatie
On-Site Admin

Postby Reaver » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:57 am

The boy in front her pulled off the impossible. He momentarily went quiet. Now there really was nothing the boy couldn't do. Analiese felt that she had accomplished something major by rendering him silent, even if just for a few peaceful moments. She snorted her pleasure in the matter. Not very appropriate or friendly, as they were attempting to be, but it probably wasn't going to pan out anyway, so she didn't feel too bad.

"Other than school?" She parroted him in a way that made both of them seem like there was no such thing as an outside of school. Honestly, in her world, there really wasn't. Not one worth talking about anyway. What, was she supposed to tell Silas that everyone in her family was just like he was, and that's why she couldn't stand to be around him, but needed his attention? That wasn't the best idea.

"Actually, we don't really have much to talk about." It was getting late, and she found herself actually tired. Analiese turned back to her book pile, gathering a few. She ultimately decided to leave the majority on the table. Even the most studious Ravenclaws wouldn't bother delving into the books she had picked for her study aides, and knowing Silas, he'd probably read them already, or say that he had. Before she headed up the stairs to the girls dormitories, she turned back to Silas. "Have a splendid evening, and don't choke in your sleep tonight, love."

character carnival--->
meow!
Reaver

Previous

Return to Ravenclaw Common Room